The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Which breed would be best for my riding interests? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/breed-would-best-my-riding-interests-174105/)

LoveForHorses97 04-13-2013 03:46 PM

Which breed would be best for my riding interests?

Hello!
I'm looking to buy another horse and I'm not really sure what to go for. I currently have an Arabian cross.
I ride both Western and English and I do a little bit of jumping, and I'm interested in sorting. I need a horse that would be able to go back and forth between these disciplines easily. I also love trail riding (so sturdy hooves is a must!)
I'm looking to teach lessons for younger kids during the summer so it can't be a naturally spirited breed.
Any recommendations?
Also, no gaited breeds!
Thank you!

Golden Horse 04-13-2013 04:02 PM

Mmmmm lets think, Arab or an Arab cross, but hey I may be a bit biased there.

For what you are wanting I would not be worrying at all about breed, but only about type. There are lots of great horses, both papered and mutts who would do all you want there. I'd focus on what you like in height and build, color if that is important to you, then look for something that hits all of your must haves, whatever it is.

SnowCowgirl 04-13-2013 04:08 PM

I think you should not worry about the breed and just look for a horse whos personality suits all those things. I have an Arab/Draft mix who would fit the bill (even the cowyness for sorting, not sure where THAT came from!) However, that's obviously just HER, not her breeding.

LoveForHorses97 04-13-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 2218249)
Mmmmm lets think, Arab or an Arab cross, but hey I may be a bit biased there.

For what you are wanting I would not be worrying at all about breed, but only about type. There are lots of great horses, both papered and mutts who would do all you want there. I'd focus on what you like in height and build, color if that is important to you, then look for something that hits all of your must haves, whatever it is.

I really want something in between 14.2-16hh
that's not "hot-headed"

I was actually looking into getting a QHxArabian.
Anyone know about them?

LadyDreamer 04-13-2013 06:06 PM

I know of so many Saddlebreds that fit the bill. And they aren't gaited, so you have nothing to worry about.
Posted via Mobile Device

BornToRun 04-13-2013 06:13 PM

Standardbreds are very adaptable, and right in your height range! They make really sturdy trail mounts, and are very easy to teach. Pfft, totally not being biased or anything :lol: Just kidding, I speak from experience!

SnowCowgirl 04-13-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveForHorses97 (Post 2218369)
I really want something in between 14.2-16hh
that's not "hot-headed"

Anyone know about them?

I had a QH/Arab, she belongs to my sister now. Like any horse, you can't say "That's a QH/Arab so it will definitely be such and such, or definitely NOT be such and such".

My mare was pissy with a bad attitude a lot of the time, had a problem with rearing for a while, HATED small trailers, liked to kick other horses so I had to keep a red ribbon in her tail. I don't think that's very characteristic of either breed... it was just her personality. She is also fairly athletic (not not as athletic as my Arab/Draft). She is fast and a good jumper. We kicked butt in gymkhana but only because she was fast on the straight - her turns weren't fantastic. She was a grouchy mare who got worse when she was in heat. We worked her on cattle and she did okay but, again, my draft mix was actually better. To be honest the only areas where I think the Arab/QH beat the Arab/Draft was in flat out speed and in jumping. I prefer the draft cross in everything else. But, I've known some very unathletic, spooky, hotheaded drafts too. It really depends on the individual horse.

but, like I said, that was just HER personality. All QH/Arabs are not going to be just like her.

LoveForHorses97 04-13-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 2219465)
Standardbreds are very adaptable, and right in your height range! They make really sturdy trail mounts, and are very easy to teach. Pfft, totally not being biased or anything :lol: Just kidding, I speak from experience!

I haven't seen any for sale around me in my price range! ahhhhh
But I will definitely look into them, I've always loved their sporty looks!
Thank you!

LoveForHorses97 04-13-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl (Post 2219785)
I had a QH/Arab, she belongs to my sister now. Like any horse, you can't say "That's a QH/Arab so it will definitely be such and such, or definitely NOT be such and such".

My mare was pissy with a bad attitude a lot of the time, had a problem with rearing for a while, HATED small trailers, liked to kick other horses so I had to keep a red ribbon in her tail. I don't think that's very characteristic of either breed... it was just her personality. She is also fairly athletic (not not as athletic as my Arab/Draft). She is fast and a good jumper. We kicked butt in gymkhana but only because she was fast on the straight - her turns weren't fantastic. She was a grouchy mare who got worse when she was in heat. We worked her on cattle and she did okay but, again, my draft mix was actually better. To be honest the only areas where I think the Arab/QH beat the Arab/Draft was in flat out speed and in jumping. I prefer the draft cross in everything else. But, I've known some very unathletic, spooky, hotheaded drafts too. It really depends on the individual horse.

but, like I said, that was just HER personality. All QH/Arabs are not going to be just like her.

Yeah... I love Arabian crosses and Draft crosses.
well, I'll just keep searching for the right horse!
I'm in no hurry!

If anyone finds a horse for sale they think would fit my preferences ($2500 max. maybe $3000 if it's amazing) please let me know!!!
Thank you!

Golden Horse 04-13-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ;2218369
Anyone know about them?

Well lets see, you are loking at a cross between two different type, so you could really get just about anything, depending on the build and temperament of the parent, but it is impossible to classify a Quarab in any meaningful way. Certainly a good one will give you everything you need and change, a bad one, well it could make your life hell.