The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   What to look for in a reiner? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/what-look-reiner-174169/)

horsecrazygirl13 04-13-2013 04:06 PM

What to look for in a reiner?

Hi some day(dont know when that will be), I'd like to do reining and I was wondering what I should look for in a reiner(conformation, personaltiy etc.) I wanted to get a weanling and do groundwork with it and train it the basics of riding and when it is old enough, send it to a trainer or get a trainer to work with me. Meanwhile, I would be taking lessons. So what should I look for in a potential reining weanling or yearling? Thanks!

Lopin N Paint 04-18-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13 (Post 2218785)
Hi some day(dont know when that will be), I'd like to do reining and I was wondering what I should look for in a reiner(conformation, personaltiy etc.) I wanted to get a weanling and do groundwork with it and train it the basics of riding and when it is old enough, send it to a trainer or get a trainer to work with me. Meanwhile, I would be taking lessons. So what should I look for in a potential reining weanling or yearling? Thanks!

In a weanling and yearling all you can go off of is:

Peidgree:
How well did its parents and grandparents do in REINING.
No one past sire, dam, and their sires and dams matter. 5 generations back brings nothing to the table in a serious competitor of any sport. You want big names upfront otherwise the pedigree means nothing.

and

Health:
A PPE is a must, even in a young horse
Make sure there are no glaring conformation faults.
Make sure the horse is UTD on all aspects of health care.

You may also be able to get a feel for attitude and trainablity. In a yearling I think this is pretty possible, a weanling may be pushing it a bit because a horse that young changes so much as you handle them day to day.

horsecrazygirl13 04-19-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopin N Paint (Post 2271417)
In a weanling and yearling all you can go off of is:

Peidgree:
How well did its parents and grandparents do in REINING.
No one past sire, dam, and their sires and dams matter. 5 generations back brings nothing to the table in a serious competitor of any sport. You want big names upfront otherwise the pedigree means nothing.

and

Health:
A PPE is a must, even in a young horse
Make sure there are no glaring conformation faults.
Make sure the horse is UTD on all aspects of health care.

You may also be able to get a feel for attitude and trainablity. In a yearling I think this is pretty possible, a weanling may be pushing it a bit because a horse that young changes so much as you handle them day to day.

Thanks that was very infomative.:-)

nrhareiner 04-19-2013 01:43 PM

First thing I look at is Pedigree. What has the sire and dam done.

Then I look at movement. I find I can tell a lot by how they move. I do not want to see them running around I want to see then at a walk and changing directions. I can tell if they can do the maneuvers by watching how they move at the walk and them move it up and see if they have the cordiation at the trot and lope and how do they move at these gaits. Do they change? Stay the same?

horsecrazygirl13 04-28-2013 11:59 PM

Ok thanks guys. How much does conformation matter? I mean does a reiner have to have "perfect" conformation?
I have a gelding-he dosnt have perfect confomation but he CAN turn well on his hind quarters when he wants to. :-)
Can you do reining just for fun?

nrhareiner 04-29-2013 10:50 AM

Conformation comes into play in the long gevity of a horse. Also how they get under themselves and so on. Perfect conformation is in the eye of the beholder. Just b/c a horse has perfect conformation does not mean they will make a great reiner or even an OK reiner. There is so much that goes into what makes a reiner that you can not just look at one thing. I start with pedigree. If that is not there I keep going. Once I find the pedigree I want I look at how the horse moves. If they move like I want then I look at conformation. I want it all in some degree. It does not have to be 100% on all 3 but it better be close on 2 out of 3. Then there are other small things I look at too. This comes down to more personal preferances then anything but they are things I find help with what I want.

horsecrazygirl13 04-29-2013 11:48 AM

you mean a horse that has less-than-ideal conformation doesnt live as long as horses with ideal conformaton? Sorry if I misunderstood.

SlideStop 04-29-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13 (Post 2380986)
you mean a horse that has less-than-ideal conformation doesnt live as long as horses with ideal conformaton? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Reining is high impact, especially on the hocks. If your horse has poor conformation that stress is going to be increased to those areas already taking a hard hit. Reiners careers can be short lived because of injury, but as long as your SMART about working your horse they should hold up fine. For example, you don't need to slide your horse every single day, especially once he's got it. You tune up before a show and that should be fine. Once they have the moves they have them. It's not necessary to do it over and over and over again.

I'd find a trusted trainer way BEFORE you look into buying a yearling. It's not easy to develop and eye for it as this isn't really something you train a horse to do (well, you do obviously) , it really has to be in their blood! I'd hate for you to grad a yearling with a noob eye, raise it for A few years then have it be a dud, so to speak. Buying a yearling will, of course, be a crapshoot but seeking the help of a professional will, hopefully, swing the odds in your favor.
Posted via Mobile Device