The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Great clinic today with Geoff! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/great-clinic-today-geoff-174305/)

minstrel 04-13-2013 08:02 PM

Great clinic today with Geoff!

8 Attachment(s)
I was at a clinic today with a ** Eventer... had a fantastic time, he loved Geoff, thought he was very honest... and very impressed with his jumping! Having done nothing but small crosspoles before today, we were jumping a 3' by 2' parallel from trot (and it being no problem for him just to pop) by the end, so very pleased - lots of jumping exercises to practise!! And whilst he loved Geoff... lots of things for ME to work on, having done very little jumping since Fitz was PTS. My hands were BAD.

Interestingly, Geoff is normally pretty lazy and steady, but he was really hyped up - he started to settle but saw jumps being set up, so he was really on his toes. I was waiting for him to start the bucking which he can do upset, and was a bit tight with him... however, even once he settled today, I felt like he was running away from me, really huge. When I watched the videos, he didnt look it at all, so I'm wondering if this is what Geoff is like when he actually wakes up!! (IE huge and bloody amazing paces!)

albertaeventer 04-19-2013 05:17 PM

Awesome!! Who was the clinician? I love clinics, sounds like you made some awesome progress:)

minstrel 04-19-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertaeventer (Post 2284177)
Awesome!! Who was the clinician? I love clinics, sounds like you made some awesome progress:)

It was David Gatherer, he's a pretty well known British Eventing coach, and events to CCI** himself... he was really good, very understanding but also knew exactly how to motivate me from the word go... was fab (:.

jaydee 04-19-2013 06:21 PM

Good to hear how you and Geoff are progressing, if he is so enthusiastic about jumping its like being more than half way there
You are so brave posting pics - pretty sure my DH waits for me to look as awful as possible before he presses that button but you look pretty impressive there considering you say you've had a long break.

minstrel 04-20-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 2284617)
Good to hear how you and Geoff are progressing, if he is so enthusiastic about jumping its like being more than half way there
You are so brave posting pics - pretty sure my DH waits for me to look as awful as possible before he presses that button but you look pretty impressive there considering you say you've had a long break.

I'm pretty awful - my hands were a bit tight, and my position is a bit upright (defensive jumping lol), but I haven't jumped since last July with Fitz, so both Geoff and I just need some practice I think! He just loved his jumping, can't wait now to take him XC... our first dressage test and our first hunter pace are scheduled for May, with riding club camp on the last weekend of May, so lots of improvement over the next month fingers crossed!!

jaydee 04-20-2013 01:45 PM

I'm so glad to hear someone else talk about defensive riding (seat position). I developed exactly the same thing after owning a horse that could put in the dirtiest stops with no warning/no reason. I got catapulted off so many times at high speed that I found myself still determined to get over but at the same time having this too upright position that then became a habit I still struggle with - not that I do anything more than gridwork for something to do and pop over stuff on trails these days
I'm pretty sure the grounds a lot harder than it used to be!!!

minstrel 04-21-2013 06:11 PM

Yeah, I'm really bad for it - too many baby horses/reschoolers over the last few years has left me that way (ie determined not to deck!)! However hopefully that will disappear with time and practice...

I totally agree - whilst I fall off very rarely now compared to when I was younger, I now just seem to avoid the minor falls. When I fall off now, it's usually a doozy!