The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with the Davis Ranch? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/anyone-have-experience-davis-ranch-174345/)

Mecate 04-13-2013 07:23 PM

Anyone have experience with the Davis Ranch?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a cutting bred prospect and was thinking of taking a look one of the horses for sale at the Davis Ranch in Brigham City, Utah. The Davis Ranch. Has anyone had experience buying horses from them? Are their horses pretty good stock?

Thanks.

leahknape 06-24-2013 05:59 PM

Unhappy w/ Davis Ranch

Bought 2 horses from davis ranch. One was in cutting training, he turned out to be 3 inches shorter than what they said. The other was sent to me AT LEAST 150 lbs underweight. Thats a lot for a 2 yr old. She also was supposed to have had 30 days riding on her, but you couldn't pick up her feet, or even brush her. Just wanted to post this so maybe others looking will rethink buying from them.

Saddlebag 06-24-2013 08:20 PM

A friend bo't a horse from another breeder and the horse was advertised as 60 days. He seemed solid enough but when the farrier came the horse went nuts. Friend phoned breeder claiming the horse had been misrepresented. Not so, they advertised only that he had 60 days on him, nothing about picking up his feet.

CCH 06-24-2013 10:16 PM

What age prospect are you looking at (weanling, yearling, 2yo, 3yo)? I don't have any direct information, so repeating what others have said good or bad wouldn't be fair.

I personally believe people in the market for an unfinished cutter (or any performance horse) really need to a good grasp on how to judge the temperament, training level, and potential ability of a young horse which is something that takes time to learn. When in doubt seek the advice of a trusted person with more experience. See the horse on location or by video if possible.

Each person's definition of broke, green, started, etc can be vastly different. Having specific questions for a seller can be beneficial, and I very much appreciate when potential buyers email me a list of questions.
Posted via Mobile Device

EliRose 06-26-2013 03:18 PM

I don't have any experience with these people, but looking at some of their sale horses and many seem to either have serious hay bellies or are wormy.

Lenas Aplayin | Horses for Sale | The Davis Ranch
Shiners Blue Star DR | Horses for Sale | The Davis Ranch
Shiners Star DR | Horses for Sale | The Davis Ranch