The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Head shaking? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/head-shaking-174393/)

Mirandaelainee 04-13-2013 09:41 PM

Head shaking?

I'm not 100% sure where to post this, so I just picked training.

So, every time I put my horse's bridle on he shakes his head, and won't stop shaking his head until I take it off. It isn't wild or ridiculous head shaking either, it's just very annoying.

I've used the same bridle and bit on him since I bought him over a year ago, and the head shaking is rather new (4 months maybe).

Any thoughts on what might be bugging him?

Nokotaheaven 04-13-2013 10:16 PM

It could be any number of things. It could be he doesn't want the bridle on, it could be something on the bridle or bit, it can also be the way the reins are used when he's ridden. Horses also do it sometimes when they argue with you. It's hard to tell without a picture or video

Mirandaelainee 04-13-2013 11:22 PM

I'll try to get a video the next time I'm at the barn.

I just thought it was strange that he was perfectly fine with the bridle at first, but now he just doesn't like it.

We think it might be him not wanting me to have contact with his jaw, as the shaking tends to get more forceful the longer I ride him. He also locks his jaw and pulls, so I've been riding him in a neck stretcher. With or without the stretcher, he still does it. I'm just really confused.

Nokotaheaven 04-13-2013 11:24 PM

It's possible. Yeah it definitely sounds like he's not agreeing with something

Ladytrails 04-13-2013 11:27 PM

If you haven't had his teeth checked in the past 4 months, that's what I would do first. If everything is the same as it was a year ago (bridle, bit, halter under the bridle or not) then it might be his teeth need to be floated.

Nokotaheaven 04-13-2013 11:29 PM

Also, have you maybe changed your riding style at all or added something to it?

Mirandaelainee 04-13-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladytrails (Post 2222937)
If you haven't had his teeth checked in the past 4 months, that's what I would do first. If everything is the same as it was a year ago (bridle, bit, halter under the bridle or not) then it might be his teeth need to be floated.

Ooooo yes, I totally forgot about teeth. He's been eating just fine so it kind of slipped my mind. I'll have to check him the next time I'm out.

Mirandaelainee 04-13-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 2222961)
Also, have you maybe changed your riding style at all or added something to it?

The only big changes really are that we're working a lot more on getting him round. I also switched saddles, but the shaking started before the switch (I thought it might help, it didn't)

The only thing I know is that it for sure isn't his forelock bugging him or his ears.

Nokotaheaven 04-13-2013 11:49 PM

Okay. Then maybe u should check him inside his ears for parasites or anything unusual

Ladytrails 04-14-2013 09:57 AM

You might not be able to see his teeth without special equipment. The back teeth are waaayyyy back there and they can get razor sharp edges. If you stick you hand in there, you can get sliced (been there, done that). The vet would look for ulcers in his inner cheeks caused by the sharp edges and can file (float) them smooth. He'll feel a lot better after that's done. If he hasn't had it done for a couple of years you can bet it's time. Or, if he's young (say, under 6) he probably needs it as he's lost his baby teeth and grown permanent teeth.