The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse dragging hind feet...please help :(

22K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  BevJacobsEquineMassage 
#1 ·
I've noticed a few weeks ago that Luca drags his hind feet in the paddock. He didn't do it when being ridden. But today, when I rode him, I noticed that his trot didn't feel as smooth as it normally does. I called my dad and he watched me and Luca trot and said that he drags his hind feet, causing him to take bigger strides. Now I'm all worried....he doesn't do it as bad when I walk him under saddle, but he still does it. He almost doesn't do it at all when he trots on the paddock by himself but I haven't really watched him trot randomly that much though...

But what can it be? Is he just lazy?? He's normally quite a lazy boy, takes a doze whenever he has time, even when I'm tacking him up. I sped up his trot when I was riding him, and it seemed a bit smoother and more normal.

I'm confused!!! :-( We don't really have a vet right now, but we have the number of one that we've never "tried" before but my dad says we can only call him if there's a real emergency :evil: No equine physio's close by :? Agh....
Any suggestions? Should I try trotting poles or some kind of stretches?

Thank you for your time,
~Dreamcatcher5 (and Luca)

See less See more
#2 ·
My Arab suffered an injured vertebra more than 20 years ago and has seen chiropractors ever since.

Whenever he starts dragging his back toes, I know I need to call the chiropractor.

Unless you are seeing other issues that together, might mean he has some sort of neurological problem, dragging his back toes most likely means he's in discomfort somewhere in his skeletal system and needs some help:)

Reactions: Palomine
#4 ·
Horse could have pinched nerve, broken hip, neck problems? Or some sort of disease.

Main thing is, until you find out what is going on? Stay off of him and let him rest, especially if you have no intention of getting vet out.

Depending on what is wrong? He could go down and severely injure himself to point of PTS is only option, or fall on you and you will be viewing life as a quad.

#6 ·
watch him in the pature, if he trots w/o dragging his feet, he could have back or joint problem, causing weight bearing to bring out the toe dragging issue.
I had used to have a lazy horse, dragged his toes, stumbled would even limp on the way out when riding, but when turned back towards home, that limp was gone , and he was high steppin it back to the corral..

#7 ·
About the state of the feet: Luca's hooves are all in great condition.
We do see a vet once a year for shots and teeth, and in fact, the vet is supposed to come over any week now, so I'd better urge my dad on to call him ASAP.

One reason to why he might be dragging his back feet is that he's bored, because I mostly ride in the same paddock. I'm taking him to a different one today and I'll see if he drags them there. If he does....VET TIME, and no riding till he gets diagnosed.
I'm freaking out...he's my first horse and my everything...he's come so far...we both have. :-(

#9 ·
One reason to why he might be dragging his back feet is that he's bored, because I mostly ride in the same paddock. I'm taking him to a different one today and I'll see if he drags them there. If he does....VET TIME, and no riding till he gets diagnosed.
I'm freaking out...he's my first horse and my everything...he's come so far...we both have. :-(
What?

Dragging feet affects the wear on their feet. A horse is most happy when in balance as they are least likely to trip. I doubt that this is boredom. I think you need the vet out.

#8 ·
It could be something medical, but it COULD be because he's being lazy, doesn't want to work. I have an old lesson pony that would rather drag her feet and stumble along lazily if she doesn't have a competent rider on her back willing to push her forward.
But I strongly encourage you to get the vet out BEFORE riding her again. Horses are good at hiding pain and seeming just a little 'off' even if something big is wrong.

#12 ·
No. Call the vet, like Sky said- describe the situation and get their advice. I, personally, would just let the horse hang out. Watch how he moves in the paddock, but don't make him work. Especially good, respectful horses who will do what you ask even if they're uncomfortable.
Talk to the vet, get your horse checked out.

#14 ·
Well....when I got home I watched him walk over to me and he wasn't really dragging his feet, he was walking normally...sort of. Just every two or three steps the very tip of his back hooves would lightly skim the ground. Is that normal? I might be freaking out too much to remember what's normal or not. :?
And when we started driving to school (I'm 13 btw :happydance:) Luca trotted along the fence. I watched him closely but the fence was kinda in the way. But I did see his hooves. He trotted normally enough, every 5 or so steps one of the tips of his hind feet would minimally skim the ground but it was never the same one. So.....normal or not???

It's also raining and storming right now so at least I won't be tempted to ride him :lol:

#17 ·
I'd be looking for a good veterinary chiro or other bodyworker. IMO it's definitely physical. Horses don't do this out of 'laziness' or 'boredom'. No, don't lunge him or work him, unless it's in front of the vet/chiro to show them what's going on.

#21 ·
Yeah, vet or chiro or some sort of therapist I would think. Mitchell does that now and again, though he trips(very rarely) but that is only in the paddocks that the cows have been in, so they are quite pitted and uneven. Even so, when he does start doing that, it's chiro time for him, that's how I know. (That and he bucks if it's really bad and I haven't noticed)

#22 ·
Hmm...the woman who has the vet's number is gonna come over in the weekend and we'll make a vet appointment then. I watched Luca trot in the paddock again and he seemed pretty normal, just like any other horse. Also, when he was walking, he wouldn't really drag his feet. This horse is a real mystery to me :? Oh, Luca....
Here's and illustration of what he does when he walks.
I know, not a very good drawing, but click to enlarge :?

His feet never touch the ground for very long if they do "drag".

#23 ·
UPDATE: I went over to the horses and Luca was mooching around in the back of the paddock under the tree, so I just patted Syd instead. Luca immediately strode purposefully over, glaring at me. His walk was fluent, normal and NO DRAGGING AT ALL! So....maybe there's nothing wrong with him after all. I'll be keeping a close eye on him though and when the vet comes, I'll ride him around a bit for him to see whether he goes normally. If the weather gets better, I'm probably going to ride him for a tiny bit just to see whether he's back to normal...ugh...I hate this weather.

#24 ·
I'll be keeping a close eye on him though and when the vet comes, I'll ride him around a bit for him to see whether he goes normally. If the weather gets better, I'm probably going to ride him for a tiny bit just to see whether he's back to normal...
Why would you ride him if he could possibly have something wrong with his hind end? Evaluate without a rider first.

#25 ·
Okay, I'll just do some groundwork instead...to see whether he still drags his feet. If he doesn't...could I then ride him a little bit??? I don't want to risk it...but he gets REALLY grouchy when he doesn't get exercised almost every day. So....is in hand work and free jumping fine? (only if he seems capable to do so)
Ahh........I'm just so worried about Luca... He doesn't seem in pain and he's his usual self...rfkgjenfkrtrhhhtrkg I'm worried :-(

#31 ·
Ok, here's an update I'm pretty happy about:
I did a nice groundwork session, and at first he was all lazy but he didn't really drag his hooves, he just moved the back ones like he was about to drag them, only that they were the tiniest bit off the ground. I trotted him in hand along the long part of the paddock and he perked right up with with happiness, since I havent exercised him for a few days. No dragging at all, nice, normal happy-horse trot! WHAT A RELIEF! :D And he slowed to a walk, he walked perfectly.
Ahh......*gives sigh of relief* he was probably just a bit lazy or uncooperative that day. Believe me, he does have his "grumpy not-wanna-work" days :lol:
My mind has almost been laid to rest....almost. I'll keep watching him. I have that little "jump" (two car tyres with a long sheet of white old fabric in between) on the paddock and went to clean it up, amd Luca just walked over to me, started trotting amd went right over the jump! :lol: he free jumped by himself! Oh....I love this horse.....so much! :hug:

#32 ·
It Could be the Biceps Femoris

It would be wonderful if you could find someone in your area that does Stress Point Therapy, Structural Integration. If not, look at an equine anatomy book and find the biceps femoris. In my practice, I find that horses that scuff with the hind feet are usually very tight in that muscle, which connects to both the stifle and hock. You can start by thoroughly grooming with a curry and see if there is any relief. You want the muscle to freely move from side to side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.