The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   When to start Gypsy horse (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/when-start-gypsy-horse-174593/)

horseluver250 04-14-2013 09:39 AM

When to start Gypsy horse

For those of you that own gypsies, at what age would you start one under saddle? Not ground work, but when you would actually back your gypsy.

Freemare 04-14-2013 09:54 AM

Most horses can be started under saddle at 3 years. Now the race track is a whole new game park. However 3 years is when most trainers will get on a horses back. how you dont want to start pushing the horse to hard at this age as his bones are still growing.

Southern Grace 04-25-2013 01:29 PM

On the bigger bodied guys, I'd prefer to wait until they're about 5 years old. Not sure on Gypsies, but on Clydes and the like, that's when they actually stop maturing. You'd really want your horse to be fully developed before doing extensive riding. Now if you just want to hop up on a 3yo that has had extensive ground work and maybe walk around the pasture once a month, I'm sure a 2000lb horse isn't going to be bothered by the extra 150lb rider. But the general rule I go by is not riding before the horse is fully developed, which just takes longer on the beasties.

Kkmitch 06-24-2013 04:12 PM

With approval of our vet, my three 1/2 year old draft and I are doing a couple of 20-30 minutes session a week - no more!

Stilton 06-24-2013 04:53 PM

4 years old. I wouldn't back a heavy gypsy type horse under 4 years

HippieCowgirl 07-16-2013 05:02 PM

I'm looking into buying a Gypsy yearling and I have researched and asked around a ton! From what I have been told is that, just like a draft, waiting a tad longer due to them being bigger is a good thing to consider. But then some people have told me that Gypsies being a smaller draft breed you can start at 3. I myself have decided on about 4-5 years due to what the vet says. Hope that helps!

My2Geldings 07-19-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseluver250 (Post 2225129)
For those of you that own gypsies, at what age would you start one under saddle? Not ground work, but when you would actually back your gypsy.

Depending on the size I would back him at 2 and get some walk/trot/canter basics done then throw him back to pasture until he's 3-4-again all depending on how he is doing growth wise. Not all horses are of equal size so some horses are ready to start some light work sooner than others.

jaydee 07-19-2013 04:35 PM

The Gypsy Cobs tend to lean more towards the Welsh Cobs and Highland ponies and can cope with light work from 3 years as long as you aren't piling a huge amount of weight on their backs
The Vanners seem to be more of a mixed bag and if they've got some Clyde or Shire in them they will take longer to mature so don't hurt to be left another year
Just because a horse has big bones and legs like tree trunks doesn't mean its joints are any more developed than a finer built horse.