The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   clips to help a cracked hoof (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/clips-help-cracked-hoof-174649/)

BoldComic 04-14-2013 12:10 PM

clips to help a cracked hoof

Comic has a crack right down the front of his hoof that we have been trying to grow out for 2 years. It really doesn't want to. It's not so bad that he's lame or anything but it's still not good. We've got a new farrier (old farrier retired) and he suggested using clips to close it. Has anyone done this? Does it work? He also talked about wiring it closed but I don't think it's bad enough to warrant that. Like I said, it's not split open, just cracked.

deserthorsewoman 04-14-2013 12:52 PM

Pic?
I guess it's about the same, shod or barefoothorse...no weightbearing where the crack is for as long as it takes to grow completely out.
But, without pic, I can only guess......

toto 04-14-2013 01:14 PM

Want to see a pic too-- anytime ive seen someone suture a hoof shut it was a severe crack..

BoldComic 04-14-2013 01:15 PM

I'll snap a pic when I go down to ride today.

Trinity3205 04-14-2013 06:16 PM

A crack down the front is almost certainly due to imbalance or a trim issue and probably a fungal factor under the layers as well since its been there a long time now. Show us pictures.

BoldComic 04-14-2013 09:58 PM

[IMG]http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps979616a1.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the pic of his hoof. The crack opened up a little on the ride today. My FIL suggested cleaning it out and filling it with epoxy. I need to do something for it.

I'm always fighting cracks on him but usually just hairline ones like the other crack on this hoof. It is so stinking dry here and he has never been known for having great feet. His feet spread really bad so I have to really keep on top of the trims when he is barefoot. This crack is, by far, the worse one he's had.

waresbear 04-14-2013 10:50 PM

And that crack is from being imbalanced & improperly trimmed shod? Holy crap!

BoldComic 04-14-2013 11:28 PM

Yeah, it's a doozie. Pretty sure I'm going to try epoxy. Gotta do something because that first nail is pretty close to breaking through and then it won't be doing any good. So I'll prob pull it then fill the crack with epoxy (after cleaning it out) and hope that holds it together enough to start growing out. It's worse every spring then by fall I've got it growing out nice. Then the next spring... it's baaaaack!

toto 04-14-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoldComic (Post 2233249)
Yeah, it's a doozie. Pretty sure I'm going to try epoxy. Gotta do something because that first nail is pretty close to breaking through and then it won't be doing any good. So I'll prob pull it then fill the crack with epoxy (after cleaning it out) and hope that holds it together enough to start growing out. It's worse every spring then by fall I've got it growing out nice. Then the next spring... it's baaaaack!

Im not trying to be rude to you but you really need to stay off him and find a farrier that can take that flare out of his hooves-- id remove the shoes if you could and youre gonna nee to cut the hoof wal so that it doesnt touch the ground on the crack.. the epoxy just seems like the lazy way to do it-- my opinion..

If youre needing to keep his feet moist you could try soaking them in water -- maybe a pond- creek- ditch? Over flow the water troughs --soak an old saddle blanket or pad then have him stand on it-- bathe him in the mud..

deserthorsewoman 04-15-2013 12:09 AM

Agree with toto. He's bearing weight on the crack. Plus the flare. It grows out well at the coronary. So this hoof is trying.
What does this horse eat?
Soaking by standing on a wet spot when drinking, for example, would help. Get water in from the bottom. Then check his diet. And have him trimmed properly. Strong bevel. And then patience.
Everything else is just a band aid.