The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Learning to Ride as an Adult? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/learning-ride-adult-17467/)

Nomi 11-13-2008 06:00 AM

Learning to Ride as an Adult?

Just how common is it? You see, I'm planning to take riding lessons starting this summer, as an 18 year old (an adult in Alberta). But most lessons seem to be for younger people only. Anyone else here learning/has learnt to ride as an adult?

kitten_Val 11-13-2008 07:58 AM

I saw it every week at the barn where I helped out. LOTS of people (in 30 - 40 - even 50th) who never even sit on horse come and either take lessons or go on trail ride (with the guide, of course). I'd say 18 years old is still very young to start. :D

Joshie 11-13-2008 10:31 AM

My daughter and I started lessons together. She's a kiddo and I'm in my 40s. We take lessons from a guy. He's got 3 horses and gives lessons to four or 5 other groups.

kickshaw 11-13-2008 10:41 AM

i taught plenty of adults how to ride :-)

we even had a ladies morning session every wednesday

upnover 11-14-2008 10:39 AM

You're right, there aren't as many adults as there are children, but there are definitely quite a few adult students and good for you to getting into it! At our barn there are probably about 10 adults in the lesson program and about 5 or 6 that own their horses. Although, there really aren't a lot of 18 year olds riding. 16 is about when the less interested kids start to drift their interests away or get really busy. Once college hits most are too busy to start getting into a sport. But if you can do it, go for it!

Brandon 11-15-2008 01:43 AM

Heck, I started learning how to ride a horse January 27, 2008. I am 19 now, but i was 18 when i started. Even with college, I still have time for my nana (nana = horse). When i started lessons, there was a 15 year old, and a 12 year old.. then the next class were kids that were between 5 and 10... I felt very strange, but i got over it.

Supermane 11-15-2008 02:34 AM

My mother started riding in her early 50's (many years after I started), when I convinced her that she should get a horse. She loves it and absolutely adores her horse. She started and is still in private lessons.

Moxie 11-15-2008 12:27 PM

I hadnt been on a horse since I was in school (back in the 90's), I started taking lessons early this summer.

Being a little older than a lot of the riders at my barn, I think makes me more conscious of what I'm doing, maybe because I don't want to look silly? I think age also makes me look at riding as more of an opportunity and a privilege than just something mommy and daddy are paying for; because paying for riding lesson comes out of my pocket, and I know it's something I really want to do.

At any rate, 18 isn't all that old, besides the horse doesn't care about your age.

Vidaloco 11-15-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickshaw (Post 187581)
i taught plenty of adults how to ride :-)

we even had a ladies morning session every wednesday

That sounds like so much fun! I'll be 51 next month, been riding regular for about 6-7 years and would love to take some lessons. Your never to old to learn :wink:
Don't be discouraged if everyone in your class is younger. It may be that your instructor just doesn't have any older pupils. There are plenty of them though.

Spyder 11-15-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomi (Post 187456)
Just how common is it? You see, I'm planning to take riding lessons starting this summer, as an 18 year old (an adult in Alberta). But most lessons seem to be for younger people only. Anyone else here learning/has learnt to ride as an adult?

There are more adults riding or starting to ride now than there ever were.

I started at age 25 and then NO ONE started to ride at that time. In the beginning when the horse stopped I didn't and falling at that age in sight of 10-12 year olds was not pleasant. I simply got back on. I was determined to ride...and made it to GP.