The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What can you tell me about Hackney ponies? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-can-you-tell-me-about-174713/)

AllTommiedUp 04-14-2013 12:01 PM

What can you tell me about Hackney ponies?

I have a Hackney pony named Gemma, she is super sweet. I do not know to much about a Hackeny pony and can not find much about them on the Internet. If anyone knows anything about them please let me know. Facts, traits, conformation, anything would be helpful.

churumbeque 04-14-2013 01:21 PM

Most generally they are bred to be high stepping driving pony's. They are generally higher strung because they are bred to be very forward moving. I wouldn't suggest them for an inexperienced horse person.

ImpulsiveLucy 05-03-2013 09:10 PM

I used to have a hackney pony, sweetest little thing I ever had! Absolutely adored my little brother and would do anything for him. I have found them to be built more like a Morgan, with the neck coming up out of the top of the withers so they can have that high though, collected head set. Flatter across the croup to give them "pop". And with pretty good sized hooves.
They can be pretty high strung at times. But make excellent all around ponies.
Mine naturally had some serious knee action. When you got him going we was almost kneeing himself in the face! He also jumped 3' with ME on his back. He was only 12.1HH. Then you could slow him down a bit, and he would naturally have that smooth pleasure jog, with the roll through the knees and hook in his neck.
I can't speak for all hackneys, but my experience with one was unlike any other!

Foxesdontwearbowties 05-05-2013 04:21 PM

I have one (: I love her to death and have had her almost a year now.
Like everyone said, most are quite high strung and not generally for inexperienced riders. I don't know a whole lot about them other than what you've probably read yourself, though.

LadyDreamer 05-06-2013 06:56 AM

I am not the biggest fan of hackneys. Funny thing though, the only time I have ever shown at the World Championships was with a hackney. Lol! They are high strung, can be a little nutty, but are VERY hardy and tough little creatures.

Hackney Horses are amazing. I would love to have another. They are very rare, but are coming back.

Here are some links for you:

What is a Hackney? - YouTube
The American Hackney - Part 1 - YouTube
The American Hackney - Part 2 - YouTube
The American Hackney - Part 3 - YouTube
Home - American Hackney Horse Society
Posted via Mobile Device