The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Am I in a chair seat? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/am-i-chair-seat-174921/)

Ozzys mum 04-14-2013 06:47 PM

Am I in a chair seat?

I'm sure there are many other flaws, but I'm just getting back into riding after a bad fall that happened in December and had me in the hospital. But I just keep finding most of the photos I find of myself, I'm in a chair seat. But I'm not sure if I'm going to get it any better without putting myself in a worse position.

I think my toes are at the girth on each of these shots... but to me it looks off. After a number of disastrous saddle attempts - so far this is the best fit for me, my horse and my wallet at this time.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...psb1b04528.jpg[/URL]
This was from 3 weeks ago

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps2d95d7cd.jpg[/URL]
This was from todays lesson.

beau159 04-14-2013 07:12 PM

I'm not an English guru, but I would say you do look chair seated. But that almost looks where your saddle wants to put you.

If you haven't been riding for a while, those muscles may be out of shape!! When you mount your horse, make sure you do exercises and stretches to get yourself lumber to be in the proper alignment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 04-14-2013 07:15 PM

Yes. Your leg is too far forward (notice how it's almost interfering with the horse's leg?).. probably from jamming your heels down. What happens when you let your leg drop naturally?

waresbear 04-14-2013 07:53 PM

First picture, you are not, second, your leg is too forward but not really a chair seat. You need to sit up more, and get your chest out, practise that for a while then see how it goes.

Ozzys mum 04-14-2013 08:23 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I ride 5 days a week and have been back in the saddle for a month now, so I'm thinking my leg muscles should be pretty close to back to normal. But I've had to switch coaches again, and I developed some bad habits with the first one, as I was there the longest. Uneven hands, I tend to look down between my horses ears or into the center of the ring. My new coach is forever after me to have boobs out, sit up and head up. I think within the next year I will be looking for a new saddle AGAIN... so hopefully i can find something maybe a bit more helpful.
Any exercises I should do to try to fix this?

waresbear 04-14-2013 08:34 PM

Exercises on the horse you mean? A great one is to ride from focal point to focal point, which means pick a focal point straight ahead of you, off a distance and up higher, ride to it, then when you get there pick another. Don't take your eyes off the focal point. Works very well for making you sit up straight and looking ahead. Those two things for some reason make you sit better on a horse.

soenjer55 04-14-2013 08:37 PM

I'm wondering if dropping your stirrups down a hole or so might help...? I feel like it's really just the saddle putting you there, though.

Ozzys mum 04-14-2013 08:37 PM

Thanks Waresbear - its a bit easier in the outdoor to do that, same thing my coach was reminding me to do. But indoor is harder - but I will try it and get some more photos taken.

Ozzys mum 04-14-2013 08:39 PM

You know Soenjer - you just reminded me. We changed the length of the stirrups because they have stretched so we were looking for two holes somewhat even. I totally forgot about that - I'm now going to go pick up new ones tomorrow and see if that helps.

Ozzys mum 04-16-2013 11:30 PM

Can't post more photos until Sunday, but bought new leathers which helped IMMENSELY!!! Who would have thought :)

And I borrowed a back riser pad from the local tack store when I described the problem to them.

Todays lesson I asked my coach and she said yes this definately improves my seat. But I will be fighting the chair seat as my horse is EXTREMELY uphill - and that build is a saddle nightmare. She would like to see a bit more rise in the back if possible, so I'm going to see if the tack shop has something more I can try. I don't want to put too much pressure on his withers or front. But it felt a lot better!