The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
- - Is it safe to transport a pregnant mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/safe-transport-pregnant-mare-17519/)
Is it safe to transport a pregnant mare?
I'm just curious. I'm not going to do anything of the such, nor would I think of doing it. But, a friend bred her stallion to her friends mare & now they're having a falling out & my friend wants to ship the mare back. I told her, I think it would have been fine MAYBE in the first month or two, but the mare's 5-7 months along.
Anyhow, I was just wondering...
I don't see a problem provided:
1. The mare is good at loading/unloading/travelling so the floating doesn't stress her out too much
2. The mare is generally a calm sort and won't get too stressed being in a new place
3. If the journey is long, have a few breaks for her to move around and stretch her legs.
Alternatively, you could wait until the foal is a few weeks old - I've heard of people transporting mares and their young foals with out too many difficulties.
not a problem unless the mare is really really close to the due date
like the 10th month or later.
and like sempre said.
I've hauled mares into the 9th month of pregnancy without any issues. I make it a rule not to haul after the 10th month though.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.