The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rodeo (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/)
-   -   Breakaway ropers (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/breakaway-ropers-175345/)

mollymay 04-15-2013 01:00 PM

Breakaway ropers

Hey everyone! So I've been SLOWLY trying to get Trigger ready for at least one barrel race this summer- just to see how he does. We won't shoot for competitive until most likely next year. Anyhow one of the other big events in Oregon is breakaway roping. Any thoughts? Have you done it? Is it difficult to train for? Trigger can stop on a dime from just about any speed. I've been told I should try slidding stops on him because his stop is so great. Anyhow, I'm not a great roper by any means, but it might be something fun so I can do more then one event when I go to the rodeo. I will say I would not try him in this probably this year since I'm trying to focus on barrels, but I love keeping my options open! So breakaway ropers speak up!

livingincowgirlboots 07-20-2013 07:36 PM

MollyMay! I am looking to work my way into the same event you are! Where in Oregon are you located? It might be fun to have someone to practice with. Are you hitting NPRA's??

Roperchick 07-20-2013 07:55 PM

Breakaway was always my favorite event in rodeo.

Yes definitely work on his stop. Have you ever roped off him before?

Roping horses are trained to stop on a dime when that rope shoots out. Its especially important for breakaway because the time doesn't stop till that rope pops off your saddle horn. So having a strong brake from your horse which is your anchor will help get a quicker time.

Is it difficult to train for? Not really.

It depends on the horses level of experience and the riders. My rope horses were all ranch horses before so it was an easy transition.

mollymay 07-23-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livingincowgirlboots (Post 3117746)
MollyMay! I am looking to work my way into the same event you are! Where in Oregon are you located? It might be fun to have someone to practice with. Are you hitting NPRA's??

I live around Gresham area. I want to try NPRA next summer or that's the goal. :) Do you do NPRA?!
Posted via Mobile Device

mollymay 07-23-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roperchick (Post 3117882)
Breakaway was always my favorite event in rodeo.

Yes definitely work on his stop. Have you ever roped off him before?

Roping horses are trained to stop on a dime when that
rope shoots out. Its especially important for breakaway because the time doesn't stop till that rope pops off your saddle horn. So having a strong brake
from your horse which is your anchor will help get a quicker time.

Is it difficult to train for? Not really.

It depends on the horses level of experience and the riders. My rope horses were all ranch horses before so it was an easy transition.

Ok so what I've work on so far is still his stops at all the speeds, and then stand still while I rope since I'm kinda horrible at it ha ha. I tried him moving a couple times while roping he could care less about the rope. I also did a lot of letting him touch the rope and I rubbed it all over his neck and he was like eh whatever didn't bother him so I'm super happy about that! The only issue is I don't have 1) cattleto work with 2) the place we can go and use livestock at only does it once a month. We haven't gone yet to try with cattle, but hopefully soon. Thanks for posting! This has been up forever I feel like!
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 07-23-2013 01:45 PM

That's a good start! I'd you have it available, also work on getting him in the box and working on quick starts out of it. My horses know as soon as they hear the chute open to go.

Also depending on what your rodeo circuit is like they may or may not have a barrier for breakaway so make sure to practice with that if you can.

Cow wise get as much practice with them as you can...even if its only once aonth.

Then if you want additional practice you can always make a dummy. I have 2. One is just PVC pipe and the other is aluminum on skids that I can have somebody pull behind their horse.

You just gotta be creative sometimes.

mollymay 07-24-2013 04:52 PM

I know that most the rodeos have like a barrier, as for working witha chute like I said I'm limited on resources. :/ do you still compete?
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 07-26-2013 03:37 PM

Ive only been able to compete about 3 tomes in the last 4 yes. My horse is on the mainland :/ so I only get to rope when I go home on leave.

If you don't have a barrier that you can work him with its not too big a deal. Just make sure hes not gonna balk or freak when you do go compete. The barrier does snap pretty fast...most times...
My horse has had to jump it a couple times lol

mollymay 07-26-2013 06:57 PM

Oh that sucks! I can't imagine being away for longer then a couple weeks from riding. I took a few years off and almost went nuts without it! Ha ha
Posted via Mobile Device

roper 10-09-2013 03:09 PM

I've taken and trained mine to track a saw horse i put on a pair of skis. But make sure when you rope you are roping the calf/dummy like a calf roper not a header that's the biggest mistake people who breakaway around here make. Also make sure your horse neck reins very well. It allows you to be able to move the horse over if he isn't tracking the calf correctly also allows you to keep him in control. Also i don't necessarily like my horses to break when the chute opens because if your calf stalls on you then you break a barrier and you don't want that.