The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Ground Control Horseshoes (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/ground-control-horseshoes-175729/)

AshleyFaye 04-15-2013 09:45 PM

Ground Control Horseshoes

I have a 4 year old TWH/SSH gelding that is really bad about pulling off both of his front shoes. A friend of mine recommended trying the plastic Ground Control Horseshoes. I already ordered a pair of them. I was just wondering what other peoples opinions and experiences with them were.
Thanks in advance,
Ashley

Joe4d 04-16-2013 02:12 AM

i wouldnt put them on a horse I actualy planned on riding, they act like flip flops and get rocks wedged up under them and in between the bars and sides of the shoe. stone bruise , absess and side blow outs waiting to happen. Had them on my horse for a day and pulled them. I think a couple farriers got stuck with a truck load of them, as they are about the only ones advocating them. Anyone I know that doesnt have a financial interest in these things hates them and had same experience I did.
Your horse's forging issue can be corrected with proper trimming and shoeing, I went through his for awhile myself with my walker, but pretty much have her straight now. You may need a different farrier if yours isnt willing to work with you. The answer is correct shoeing and trimming, Not gadget doodads.

Trinity3205 04-17-2013 11:41 PM

I had the completely opposite experiance. We used them for horses that had to walk on a wooden stage floors at first as I trained horses for a theatrical show in my town. We also used then in arenas on pavement and trails after seeing how great they were on the stage - no issues. You can use them with pour in pads and Bell boots as needed. They wear great and gave relief to arthritic joints.
Posted via Mobile Device