The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Gidgets runs! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/gidgets-runs-175873/)

Gidget 04-16-2013 12:08 AM

Gidgets runs!

Last Saturday Gidget and my friend Alex competed at a local gymkhana. This is her second gymkhana of the yr and she is making huge improvements....Alex doesnt hold her back like I do so once I have the baby I will be learning not to hold her back but still want to get comfortable since I'm still learning and then the speed can come...anyways,here is her barrels 17.2,poles 25 something(she got second in B division),and keyhole with a 9. something(she got 3rd in A division). All her runs were clean! Super proud of Alex and my awesome horse. Enjoy!

Phly 04-16-2013 12:15 AM

Clean runs win races. In keyhole, did you have a push in horse?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gidget 04-16-2013 12:19 AM

a push in horse? I never heard of that?

Phly 04-16-2013 12:22 AM

In that video it looked like the other horse helped, pushed your horse into the arena
Posted via Mobile Device

Gidget 04-16-2013 12:24 AM

Oh no,I don't think so. Gidget usually goes right in. She stays really calm until she gets in the arena and then she gets hot.

Phly 04-16-2013 12:26 AM

Ok. Sorry. I seen the other horse come in with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsesdontlie 04-16-2013 12:32 AM

Looks like they had two runs going on simultaneously. The other horse was doing Key Hole as well on the other side of the arena.

Gidget looks like she is doing great! You must be a proud mama!

Gidget 04-16-2013 12:39 AM

Oh yea! sorry,there were two runs at the same time or it would take literally ALL DAY if it was one by one....it really helps but at the same time the horses get even more jacked and some want to race each other. Gidget is doing fantastic! She makes a much better gamer than a jumper ;)

Phly 04-16-2013 12:46 AM

I never even watched the background! I was watching y'all. Totally my fault.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 04-17-2013 02:42 PM

I think Gidget's main thing is going to be keeping her focused.

Alex does a very good job of planning her ride. She does tend to get a little pissy, particularly after that keyhole run I saw her getting a little humped up. I'm sure she's probably just excited but has she been chiropracted lately?

Another thing with the focus is shoulder control. I'd get Alex working a lot on getting instant responses out of that shoulder. Haunch turns, rollbacks, counter arcs etc that will get her a lot snappier. She looks like she kinda loses her focus, bends, but doesn't follow through with her shoulder. (Second barrel is an example of that)

Also, I'm not sure if she's topped out yet or not, but it might be beneficial to get her breezed. Maybe even against another horse. See if she can't find a new gear and get even faster. She's running now, but it looks a little bound up to me. I need to do this with Selena too. She's topped herself out and I need to find out if I have more horse in there or not.

Overall I think letting Alex use her is going to be a good thing for her. It'll get her seasoned and thinking more and when you get her back she will be a better horse. Maybe see if she'd do some slow time only's with her too to deal with the issue of her being hot.

That's my critique anyhow, I think the two look pretty good together.