The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Western show, helmet ideas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/western-show-helmet-ideas-175889/)

gypsygirl525 04-16-2013 12:08 AM

Western show, helmet ideas?

I am looking into showing this year, being a western rider, the tradition is hat. but my mom says a helmet is a must, so will i get docked points at local or smaller city shows? or i have heard of helmets that go UNDER the western hat, but i cant find any on google!

~*~anebel~*~ 04-16-2013 12:30 AM

You technically shouldn't get docked any points for wearing a helmet. You can either do a traditional black velvet helmet with a black and white type dress, or get a "western style" helmet like -
Troxel Sierra Helmet - The Best-Selling Western Helmet Troxel Equestrian Helmets

I would imagine a helmet under a hat would be quite bulky and weirder looking than just a helmet..

Good luck!

Muppetgirl 04-16-2013 12:30 AM

Hmmmm I know there are certain classes/age groups where a helmet is mandatory for the class.

You may want to read the rule book for the association/area that you are showing in.

To be honest, I've never seen an adult wear a helmet in a western class.....apart from rough stock of course!:wink:

Phly 04-16-2013 12:35 AM

4h is the only shows here that require a helmet. And our daughter is livid. Some shows do require sleeves to some extent. Either long or at least a short button up. But a helmet has never detracted points.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl525 04-16-2013 01:40 PM

i am not sure what the helmet rules are for local shows around here! i will check into it! thanks

GamingGrrl 04-16-2013 01:46 PM

You won't get docked for a helmet. My show outfit is black and I use a velvet helmet cover over my schooling helmet.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl525 04-17-2013 07:37 PM

Ok! thanks!

waresbear 04-17-2013 07:51 PM

The association I show under, Equine Canada, requires all riders under the age of 18 to wear an approved safety helmet, English and Western. Adult riders are given a choice and will not be penalized or marked down for wearing a helmet instead of a hat. I show all around the region, not many adult riders do wear a helmet, but there are a few.

Thrill Ride 04-20-2013 02:40 PM

9 out of 10 shows around here usually require everyone to wear a helmet. Personally, I tried wearing a western hat in western pleasure at a show where we could and the wind was pretty bad and it flew off my head. So for horsemanship I wore my helmet. My horse also tripped really bad, so I also rode it for safety reasons.

Put a nice helmet cover over it and you will be fine. In small shows they shouldn't dock you.