The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Teaching Remi to spin (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/teaching-remi-spin-175969/)

Waybueno 04-16-2013 01:37 AM

Teaching Remi to spin

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...61463071879669

Trying to teach remi to spin sorry about quality and sound had to video a video because I couldn't figure out how to get it out of imovie

toto 04-16-2013 01:39 AM

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

:cry:

this is what the link says^

Muppetgirl 04-16-2013 01:44 AM

Just a note, putting in links to FB is frowned upon....can you put it through you tube?

Waybueno 04-16-2013 01:48 AM

Oops try again I made it public.

I can't get it to upload onto youtube unfortunately :/

toto 04-16-2013 02:04 AM

Works. :)

Lookin good there. When she took the reverse steps i would have straightened her out and trotted a line randomly turning her a step to that same side just a few times to sharpen her up. :)

alexischristina 04-16-2013 02:06 AM

Facebook links are not allowed at all, not just 'frowned upon'. And the quality really isn't very good for a critique, unfortunately. He looks cute though! (in a pixelated way).

franknbeans 04-16-2013 07:59 AM

You are forcing the spin. Try trotting circles, making them smaller as you go.....eventually it gets too small to trot-cue the spin-let the horse take one or 2 CORRECT steps, then trot out. Keep practicing that, gradually increasing the number of steps. But, you have to make sure they are correct. It is much easier to teach it right than to correct it once they do it wrong. You should not have to "push" the horse. If you are, then you need to do more lateral work controlling hips, shoulders, etc. Do not try and get speed at all at this point. That comes with time, so be patient.

COWCHICK77 04-16-2013 10:07 PM

I agree with Fn'B.
He is trying but he hasn't found the balance yet. He gets a little strung out then tries to gather back up then steps behind himself or on himself.
Like Fn'B said, trot him him in small circles when he is soft and correct let him come down to a walk and step around. When he makes one or two good steps let him out. Don't force it. If he gets sucked backed push him back out forward into trotting circles again. I wouldn't throw your reins to him, but push him over the top of your bit so he keeps rounded when you go out of the spin and into the trotting circles. Let him go long and low when he makes a couple of nice steps. He will figure it out fast.
He doesn't look like he has an issue with stepping behind other than when he is trying to gather himself up again but counter arcing can help him feel and stretch his outside shoulder for the reach across with the outside. You only showed one side, not sure if it was was his good or bad side. I have found they try to reach out in front with one side then step behind with the weaker side, so it might come in handy with the weaker side.

I like this colt of yours! He looks like he wants to be good!