The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Tightening fence wire? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/tightening-fence-wire-175993/)

sliceoflife 04-16-2013 08:43 AM

Tightening fence wire?

Okay so we are making some small yards, and we can't seem to get the fence tight! It is woven wire. It's so frustrating. We pull and pull and it still sags!

Any tips and advice would be GREAT. We don't have a tightener/whatever they're called either. And won't be able to get one for a while (we live about an hour from town!

Freemare 04-16-2013 09:40 AM

You will need to put stakes in the areas that sag.

freia 04-16-2013 11:27 AM

I've never found any other way other than with a tightener. Sometimes, even with a tightener, it will be kid of baggy in certain areas. For example, the top will be tight, but the bottom wires are loose, because there is a slight curve to the land. When that happens, I use one of those fence-pliers tools and make crimps in the loose wires to make them the same tension as the ones that are tight.

Palomine 04-16-2013 11:35 AM

Do you have 2 pieces of 2x4 about 3 feet long?

Take those, stack on top of each other and drill holes through both of them.

Get some long bolts and nuts.

Lay one board on one side lean or lay fence over it and then lean/lay other board over fence lining up holes. Run bolts through and tighten down. Put chain around board and fasten so it makes loop and then use lawn mower or truck to pull it tight by looping another chain through the loop and attaching to tractor/mower/truck hitch. Fasten off.

stevenson 04-16-2013 01:23 PM

by woven wire, do you mean chain link? if it is chain link , make sure the ends are even, slide a slim pipe board etc through the links, then evenly space out some rope etc, every 2' or so, and then pull to make it even. Do not overstretch it, heat and cold will make the wire contract and expand.

Corporal 04-16-2013 01:27 PM

Do you have a lawn tractor? That's what my neighbor said he used to pull cattle fencing tight. Honestly, IMHO, I would start making a real fence with posts and wood. You can start with one panel on the outside of your electric fence, and add a panel at a time over a few years--if the $ is too much--then take down OR leave up the inside electric. You put the horizontal planks on the INSIDE of the posts.