The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Trainer not requiring negative coggins test? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/trainer-not-requiring-negative-coggins-test-176193/)

SnowCowgirl 04-16-2013 03:00 PM

Trainer not requiring negative coggins test?

I'm trying to find a trainer to send my 4 year old to, to be started. I'm looking in Northern Alberta and Saskatchewan.

I contacted a reputable, well known trainer who has been in the business for like 30 years. We talked for a while and the topic of vaccinations, worming and farrier work came up. They need all horses to have their vaccinations done, be recently wormed, etc. I thought I already knew the answer but asked anyway if coggins tests were required and they said NO... what the heck???? Where I live you can't board a horse, take it to a trainer, or to ANY horse show/event/clinic without having a recent, negative coggins test done and the papers in hand.

Is it common down south to NOT do it or what? I've heard that EIA has been an issue lately in SK... so that scares me! I understand their reasoning in that a horse can test negative one minute and then be bitten a minute later by a mosquito and come up positive. But, shouldn't we be doing all we can to at least TRY to reduce those chances?

It's too bad because I really like the sounds of the guy other than that...

Fourteen 04-16-2013 03:05 PM

Honestly, if he's been in the training business for 30 yrs and has a good reputation, that would hold more water with me, than whether or not he requires a piece of paper that's outdated by the time you get it in the mail.

Ray MacDonald 04-16-2013 03:14 PM

It is odd that he does not require a coggins be done... I would also be worried about the other horses in his barn that could be a potential carrier of EIA which your horse could contract.

It is true about the whole you can contract it a minute later but it still gives you peace at mind.

SnowCowgirl 04-16-2013 03:24 PM

It's hard, y'know? I completely realize that they can contract it minutes after being tested. But, because they don't require coggins test papers, someone could send an EIA positive horse to them. I know you're legally obligated to keep them isolated, but who knows....

I know the test is silly in a way, but it does help at least a little to reduce spreading EIA, right?

SnowCowgirl 04-16-2013 03:25 PM

Ray MacDonald - I see you are from Alberta, can you suggest any other good colt starters? I'm not totally crossing this guy off the list, but was a little surprised at the no coggins test thing...

franknbeans 04-16-2013 03:28 PM

Personally, I would be more concerned with vaccines than EIA. I have used several trainers, only ONE asked me about a coggins. The 2 who were big time trainers-never asked. They would only care if I were going to show. Many people think it is a bit silly to require one every year.

I would agree that the trainers reputation would hold more water with me, besides that, when does your mosquito season start? Not for a while, I wouldn't think.....and that is the only time it can be transmitted.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-16-2013 03:29 PM

If you like the trainer, then make sure your horse is up to date on everything including the Coggins and then send him. It maybe the trainer spoke incorrectly and will ask for it, or he may feel it's a big a rip off as I do and has decided he won't ask for it. I still ask for a current one, but really don't have a lot of faith in them.

xxdanioo 04-16-2013 03:32 PM

I haven't heard of any shows, barns or trainers asking for coggins. I have not had it done on my guy at all...

SaddleOnline 04-16-2013 03:33 PM

Keep in mind to that his decisions could be on his vets recommendation. I'm not sure if that far north has a huge issue with Equine Infectious Anemia.

Regula 04-16-2013 03:42 PM

I live in Calgary, and the only time I ever needed a Coggins was for travelling. Where I board, in principle they want the horse to be coggins negative, but no one ever checks. They do have a quarantine policy though where every new horse that comes in is in a private paddock without nose-to-nose contact to other horses for 14 days.

It's probably true that it minimizes the risk somewhat to have only coggins-negative animals in the barn, but EIA is not highly contagious. I would be far more concerned about my horse contracting other diseases at the trainer's where the vaccines are not fully protective, such as EHV-1 or Strangles.