The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sweet itch cure.......is there one?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sweet-itch-cure-there-one-1762/)

hsharp123 05-04-2007 06:06 AM

Sweet itch cure.......is there one??

Hello,
This mare i have recently gained also has sweet itch, im starting to think shes going to be a real pain....lol

Love her though so its tough!

What is the best thing to prevent it.
Im quite glad she is in electric fenced paddocks as she has no where to rub herself raw!

Whats the best stuff and is there a jab for it?

Any help would be greatfully recieved!

Elz x

Madds 05-10-2007 06:04 AM

My horse gets sweet itch too!

There are many washes out here in Australia where the condition is called Queensland itch and usually these treatments can treat ringworm too, but if you go to your local hardware store of something like that and ask them they should help you. But yes there is a cure. My horse has it REALLY bad right now but hes pulling through.

*ArabianPrincess* 05-10-2007 11:26 AM

Where abouts is it?

If she has it on her mane and she is rubbing it out because she has a neck rug or a combo on and its hot and she is sweating from it... The area where the itch is take the rug to you're rug repairer and ask him/her if they could put foam there and then satin that will stop the sweating and itching. (it worked for 2 other horses i know).

If not contact you're local horse/animal vet. And ask them!

Holly. x x x

Dave Singleton 05-10-2007 03:24 PM

With sweet itch you are lucky to be in the Uk!

There is currently a vaccine being trialed in the Uk with some success, you can actually subscribe your horse to the trial if you want (the more that do the better). Typically I can't find any contact info at the moment as although an advert has been put in several horse & country mags the one I have to hand does not have it!!! (grrrr).
There are also various supplements on the market which you can buy such as the Sweet Itch Lotion from Dermoline to apply externally or edible supps. such as Skratch from Global Herbs. You can also buy loads and loads of rugs, the most famous being the Boett Blanket although there are many others on sale.
They say that prevention is the best cure so you want to be taking action straight away before she shows signs otherwise it is very much an uphill battle.