The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Breeding a maiden mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breeding-maiden-mare-176209/)

Ray MacDonald 04-16-2013 03:10 PM

Breeding a maiden mare?

What was the oldest maiden mare you have bred?
What is the age that you shouldn't breed a maiden mare?

PaintHorseMares 04-16-2013 04:04 PM

The oldest we've done is 10 years, but I really don't know what would be too old.
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnyDraco 04-16-2013 04:06 PM

Depends on the mare: her physical condition, health and breeding soundness exam.

My sister bred her 17 year old maiden mare in 2011, got a beautiful colt last spring and is looking to breed her mare back again this year for a second foal (hoping to get a filly). Great care went into regular exercises and nutrition to better ensure the best outcome to get a happy and healthy mom and foal.
Posted via Mobile Device

kassierae 04-16-2013 04:25 PM

I personally wouldn't breed a maiden over the age of 14-15, and even then it's pushing it. I had a chance to breed my mare when she was 14, I looked into it and decided the risks far outweighed the benefits.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyLittlePonies 04-16-2013 05:22 PM

13. I'm currently waiting for a foal.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 04-16-2013 06:16 PM

my maiden was 12 when she foaled last month. she had no complications and the filly is healthy and super strong. my vet said when i bred her, that it was smart to do it now as she was getting up there in the breeding years as a maiden. my vet doesnt recommend breeding a maiden past 14/15 depending on the mare. of course...there are always exceptions.
Posted via Mobile Device

gigem88 04-16-2013 07:32 PM

My mare was 11 yrs (maybe 10 I'd have to check her registration) and she did very well. Just depends on the mare and her health status. Young healthy mares can have problems just like the older ones!

ButtInTheDirt 04-16-2013 08:01 PM

Not maiden, but my mare had a huge filly this spring at age 18. I would say early or mid-teens if the mare is healthy, but I personally wouldn't risk it unless their were very valid reasons for breeding her; which on most occasions their aren't. But I suppose if there was a mare who was shown, and did very well, very consistently then maybe retiring as a broodmare would be plausible. But I'm talking higher-end mares, not your basic weekend warrior. I have mare in her 20s, and one who is 16, and while I've toyed around with breeding them in the land of the hypothetical, I've come to realize that those two probably don't need their demon spawn running around, nor could I do without my two best weekend warriors if something happened to them. (Among many other conformation-related weaknesses.) If someone is going to breed a horse that age, I certainly wouldn't take any shortcuts when it comes to their health.

dbarabians 04-17-2013 11:14 PM

I have no problem breeding a healthy maiden mare at any age before 20.
I am currently looking at buying a maiden mare that has not been bred before now. she is currently in foal at the age of 20.
I have a mare that foaled at 27 and is now 31.
It should depend on the mare s health and history. Nothing is written in stone about breeding horses except the fact you need a stallion and a mare. Shalom

Ray MacDonald 04-17-2013 11:21 PM

What if the mare was almost never riden and is a little bit heavey? As in COPD