The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Show me Your Tack Room! (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/show-me-your-tack-room-176281/)

ThatAppy 04-16-2013 04:45 PM

Show me Your Tack Room!

Hi guys! :wave:
I'm in the middle of buliding a barn (yay!), and I'm working on the tack room right now. I would LOVE to see pictures of your guys' tack rooms to help me get ideas for storage. I'm not too sure how I'm going to organize saddle pads, winter blankets or coolers, and I really don't want to spend a ton of money on the racks at the tack stores!
I probably won't be completely finished the barn until this fall, but I'll be sure to post pics when I do!

Farmchic 04-16-2013 07:24 PM

Too tired to take pics now. :lol: Somewhere I posted pics of it empty, will try to get you some tomorrow. Nudge me if I forget.

Farmchic 04-17-2013 07:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here's the pics I promised. Attachment 160665

Attachment 160673

Attachment 160681

Attachment 160689

Attachment 160697

Attachment 160705

We just installed the cabinets and are waiting for the counter top to come in.

Koolio 04-17-2013 07:53 PM

We are scheduled to start construction on our barn at the beginning of May, so I am also looking for tack room ideas.

One suggestion I have though is to check out Ikea for hooks, etc. I put up an Ikea towel bar in my garage for turnout blankets and it works great. One rack holds 4 blankets. They also have some good sized, sturdy hooks that are inexpensive.

GRUNDTAL Towel holder with 4 bars - IKEA

I also saw in another barn where they have saddle blankets stored on towel bars / drying racks. Ikea has a wall mount rack tht I think would work great for that as well. I have to measure it to see if the saddle pads will fit, but it looks like it would work.

GRUNDTAL Drying rack, wall - 56x54 cm - IKEA

Chevaux 04-17-2013 08:09 PM

I really do loathe looking at tack rooms that are nicer than my house:-(

xxdanioo 04-17-2013 08:26 PM

Farmchic I want your tack room. what do you keep in the tubs?

waresbear 04-17-2013 08:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't keep my tack in the barn, because on occassion, packrats have dropped by & damaged things before my dogs "eliminated" them. I have my horse trailer parked right beside my arena, so I keep the things I use regularly in the tackroom of the trailer, also I have a small tackbox & saddle stand outside as well (grooming stuff mostly). My proper tackroom is inside the house near the backdoor for easy access. Here is a few pics of it.
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 160841[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Farmchic 04-17-2013 08:39 PM

:oops: more tack :D The ones on the top shelves hold show hats, show boots, and tack we are not using right now or do not use often. The stack of bins on the shelves holds combs, brushes, bathing stuff, tools and misc.

I better add a disclaimer here. First of all most of my tack we bought from a big farm that was going out of business. Very few things did I buy one at a time. It was all in a storage shed and we paid one lump sum. Second I am very fortunate to have a builder for a husband. We bought the lumber unfinished very reasonable at a saw mill. My husband built all the shelves, hooks and hangers. I then put a coat of polyurethane on everything. The cabinets we got basically for free, they were a floor model and our building supplier threw them in because we bought another larger floor model set.We had to reconfigure them to make them work but I think it looks ok. My darling daughter is supposed to be making a curtain for the window and one to cover the plumbing stuff.

It has taken us years to get our barn to this almost finished state. All things take time and money to complete and we rarely seem to have both at the same time.

Farmchic 04-17-2013 08:42 PM

oops, that was in reply to xxdanioo.

ThatAppy 04-24-2013 01:21 PM

Ok- I'm super sorry that I have yet to of replied, I've been really busy lately.
I am totally in love with these tack rooms! I'm going to have a closer look at the pictures and bulid upon your guys' ideas! Thanks a ton! I can't wait to have a tack room of my own :-)
Posted via Mobile Device