The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof hardeners containing formaldehyde (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-hardeners-containing-formaldehyde-176305/)

Regula 04-16-2013 06:56 PM

Hoof hardeners containing formaldehyde

In the process of reading up on Leo's founder issue, I was looking into what the ingredients of hoof hardeners are. It seems like most of them like e.g. Durasole and Keratex, contain formaldehyde/formalin. In the case of Keratex, it contains other compounds that facilitate the penetration of the formaldehyde into the hoof.

TBH I am a little bit reluctant to put formaldehyde, which is highly toxic and a known carcinogen on my horse's feet...

Any thoughts on this? Are there alternative hoof hardeners that don't contain formalin?

toto 04-16-2013 07:02 PM

Ive heard of people using it on their fingernails to harden them-- it works too.

I actually worked for a few different funeral homes and they use it every day.. i doubt there is any lethal amount in your horses hoof care product or any amount that is gonna cause any long term damage.

Its bad but ive seen where people would break into the funeral homes in my local area to steal the stuff for smoking it? Ive known a few people who said theyve tried it too-- theyre still alive and kickin and they ingested it, lol.. i do NOT recommend any one does that.. just an example of it not being fatal when used that way.. lol. Sorry.. its weird.. i know..

BoldComic 04-16-2013 07:58 PM

I know my SIL used formaldehyde on her reining horses feet when he was in the early stages on navicular. Not sure the exact reason or results but I remember the smell!

Missy May 04-17-2013 01:42 AM

It is a very effective nail hardener. It is also skin permeable, which is why should be treated w extreme care. I wouldn't put "hoof hardner" on any of my horse's feet. The hardness of their hooves is a product mostly of their diet and environment - and just a bit of genetics.

loosie 04-17-2013 09:31 AM

Agree with Missy.

Trinity3205 04-17-2013 11:44 PM

Durasole has its place. I use it when needed as it works fast and.really helps a horse with thin or sole soles. No issues and it really helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

mvinotime 04-18-2013 12:33 AM

I have never used a hoof hardener before and after reading up recently decided to try Durasole on my mares thin ouchy soles and WOW gotta say noticed a difference virtually right away! GREAT stuff. I will definitely continue to use this as needed.

AlexS 04-18-2013 12:57 AM

It works, and as long as you don't touch the skin, I don't think it does any harm.

I wear disposable gloves when I put it on, as I'd like to be pregnant at some point soon. I remove those gloves in a surgical way, turning them inside out so I am not touching the outside.

kiwi79 04-18-2013 03:58 AM

I got some keratex for my barefoot gelding after a neighbor recommended it, used it for about a week then had my trimmer out so showed it to her to see what she thought. She said it was up to me if I used it or not but said she definitely wouldn't use it on her horses and would focus on a horses diet to improve hoof condition rather than a pretty toxic substance. I gave it some thought and stopped using it, although it was pretty pricey I don't think I will use it again.