The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   VET CHECK (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/vet-check-1764/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 05-04-2007 02:54 PM

VET CHECK

just wanted to how many meany people would and why

meggymoo 05-04-2007 03:28 PM

Ummm, :roll: You've kind of got me on that one. To be honest for me it depnds on whom I'm buying from and how much.
For instance my welsh section A pony, I bought from a family who had bought him as a youngster, and I bought him in a sorry state at the age of 8yrs, was skinny, had previously had laminitis, and his feet and teeth were terrible. I paid £950 ($1800) for him, didn't have him vetted. Just brought him home, felt that sorry for him. And I have to add, he's perfect with my 4yr old daughter. Had him about a year now, and he's picture of health.
Where as Meg, she was 5 stage vetted. I paid £3500 ($6750) for her. She looked well, but I had to make sure with her, as she was costing so much. And not only that over here in the UK most insurance companies, if you want to insure a horse for over £2500 ($4700) you need to have a vets certificate.
If I knew the person I was purchasing from, or they came highly recommended, I dont suppose I would be so eager to have the full vetting. Probably just a three stage. I'm kind of a trusting person, either that or terribly gullable! :lol: :lol:
But then there are many underhanded/devious people buying and selling horses now, I would recommend a vetting. With Willow (pony) I think I was just that eager to get him away from there, I let it cloud my judgement. Wouldn't change it though. :)

prettypalfrey 05-04-2007 04:23 PM

I've bought 2 without vet checks the first one was absolutely wacko and I made the women take her back. The second one was from someone I know. I agree with Meg if it was someone I knew well then no. But somebody I didn't know would have to be thoroughly checked out.

DesertGal 05-04-2007 05:43 PM

I said yes, because if I ever buy another horse, I definitely will have it done. I want to be sure the horse I want to buy is healthy, and NOT drugged. Regardless of how much or how little I'm paying for him/her, I want to know exactly what I am getting in terms of health.

That said, I didn't vet check Christy when I bought her. I fell so totally in love with her personality, I just had to have her. :shock: :) That, and she took all the money I had, there just wasn't an extra $125 around for the vet check. :(

I got lucky, I know of others who have really been taken. Horse was drugged with sedative, or calming stuff, or given bute for pain...

hsharp123 05-04-2007 06:56 PM

I have never had a horse vetted! If i like the horse no matter what problems are found its not going to stop me wanting to take it home with me!
All horses need good homes with good owners even those that would fail a vet check!!!!

I have 3 outstanding competition horses, that when i bought probably wouldnt have passed on one thing or another! Curbs, shivers, grass cracks, lameness, splints, complete insanity lol the list goes on and on!

Each of these horses are all perfect now and have proven many people wrong, even those that said not to touch them!

Many look down on me and say i am too nieve but hell if i dont give them a fighting chance who will?!! Aslong as they are not openly snotty nosed or coughing etc they can come home with me....if they are i arrange for them too be checked and treated before coming back to my property as i will never put my other horses deliberately at risk!

futolympeventer327 05-04-2007 08:35 PM

I always do and will. I couldn't stand falling in love with a horse then bringing it home and finding out something terrible. Of course you have to consider what the horse will be doing, a childrens pony should be at a completly different level than an upper level event horse. What matters is the horse being able to do its job comfortably and safely. Of course when I bought my horse he was 150 lbs underweight, base narrow and in general looking like the story he came with. I was told he would never make a jumping horse not built enough for it no muscle and legs to close (by the vet!). However when we got him home fed him up and starting building up his muscles we found out he jumps like a grand prix show jumper... so there you go my opinion is do it, take what they have to say in mind but don't let it be your whole choice.

kristy 05-06-2007 03:04 AM

It depends. The off the track STD I adopted was not and could not be vetted. The vet is coming out Monday, though. (She came in Friday.) My gelding went through a pre-purchase exam as well as other lameness and flexion test while owning him.

showpony@heart 05-07-2007 03:09 AM

I agree with Meggy moo, it depends on the situation but i was lucky when i got my guy. For my next horse i would probably get a vet check , better to be safe than sorry right!

Rachluvshorses4eva 05-07-2007 03:13 AM

think you should always have a vet check before buying. All because there are some silly people in the world that you just can't trust, what their saying might be false. Not everyone one lies when they try to sell a horse but some people do. So if I was buying a horse, I would always get it vet checked. :D

savepitbulls 05-07-2007 12:36 PM

Depends on how much I'm paying for the horse, who I'm buying it from, and my own personal gut feeling. I've only had 1 horse vet checked and that was my dressage mare (who is now 27 and my best buddy for 13 years). But a pony for my kids for example? Nope. If it ends up not being what I want or need I will turn around and sell it for something else. Plus I trust my gut and I've been fortunate that the people I've bought from have been honest sellers and great people. Honestly I'd be more likely to vet check a dog than a horse.