The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Breeding black quarter horse mare to friesian stud? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/breeding-black-quarter-horse-mare-friesian-176449/)

laurenlewis24 04-16-2013 08:49 PM

Breeding black quarter horse mare to friesian stud?

What are the chances I will get a pure black foal if I breed my black foundation quarter horse to a friesian? Is there any way I can find out what colors she will throw with another color horse?

DraftyAiresMum 04-16-2013 08:55 PM

You could have her color tested.

Why would you cross a friesian and a QH to begin with? That has got to be one of the single most awkward crosses I've ever seen. They are complete polar opposites and the chances of ending up with something usable that isn't a "Franken-pony" are slim, at best. Plus, any friesian you breed to isn't likely to be a good example of the breed, as when a friesian is bred to a non-friesian, the friesian loses it's registration.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 04-16-2013 08:56 PM

Black horses can carry chestnut. You can test your mare for this through UC Davis or some other places, it's a simple hair pull and send in.

Given that the potential sire is a Friesian, it is unlikely you would get anything but a black foal. While it is a very real possibility your mare carries chestnut, it is very rare for a Friesian to carry it, and the lines that do are few and far between. Of course, that is assuming that your mare is indeed a black, and not a dark brown or a smoky black.

laurenlewis24 04-16-2013 09:05 PM

My friend has successfully bred her quarter horses to make a lovely cross with a Friesian she knows. I was looking for the same qualities. If you have other breeds or specific stallions you think would work well, let me know.

NdAppy 04-16-2013 09:10 PM

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with the breeding?

laurenlewis24 04-16-2013 09:13 PM

I moderate sized dressage and hunter jumper prospect.

Chiilaa 04-16-2013 09:15 PM

Then this is not the cross for you. A Friesian is not a dressage horse. Nor is it a hunter/jumper. They are too upright for either.

Friesians are cart horses. Sure, you can ride them and that is their most common use now. But their conformation is for pulling, not for performance under saddle.

DraftyAiresMum 04-16-2013 09:19 PM

Any crossing of breeds is a crap shoot in the extreme. There are some that usually work (QH/TB, Arab/QH), but for the most part, you'll be extremely lucky to get what you're looking for. Perfect example is my gelding and his half-sister. Both are Percheron/paint crosses (same APHA sire). My gelding has good conformation and a great mind. His half-sister has more conformation issues than not and is just a pain to work with (the saying "not the brightest crayon in the box" comes to mind).

Why not look for something already on the ground that's what you're looking for instead of risking your mare's life on a breeding that may or may not end up being what you're looking for?
Posted via Mobile Device

Peppy Barrel Racing 04-17-2013 12:46 AM

Horses are cheap right now, your better off buying a prospect on the ground that way you already have an idea what your getting. But that's just my opinion :-). Breeding and mare care plus risk make it the easier and safer choice and often the cheaper choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

soenjer55 04-17-2013 01:11 AM

Are you talking about the mare you posted about earlier?