The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How do you know the trainer is right for your horse(s)? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-you-know-trainer-right-17655/)

Thunder 11-15-2008 12:41 PM

How do you know the trainer is right for your horse(s)?

How do you know the trainer is right for your horse(s)?

I'm planning to send Thunder to training barn (starting under saddle) this winter. It's my first time to send the horse to training barn.

Thanks!

Zab 11-15-2008 01:49 PM

I'm very, very sceptic to all trainers... robably because I don't agree with the majority of riders and ridingstyles I've seen :P

But..I had to realize it just wasn't working very well... the progress was slow and there's just that much I can take of walking without getting bored.. I need a horse that knows more than me since I havn't ridden AR before and has to learn :P
My choice was easy; Reneé is my riding teacher, I've worked for her, ridden her horses and seen how she handles things; she's just like me when it comes to if it's ok to correct a horse or not and that I/her want to know WHY we're doing that, how it comes to have that or that effect etc. Not just ''ok, this seems to work, lets go for it'' if we don't see any appearant reason to why it works and why it's good.. hard to explain :)
I've also noticed that when she correct me as I ride (''put your left hip down and turn your shoulders..the other left.. -_-;'' )it gives a result in an instant.
So well.. it was easy for me, I know her. :3

If I were you and didn't have Renee tho, I'd try to see how different trainers train their horses, watch a few sessions, talk with them etc to see if we have the same idea about horsemanship.I'd also make sure to come and visit especially in the start, to see how it wors out.
If the trainer don't want that, I'd be very careful.

I'm also going to have a few extra lessons on my horse before I go home, to find the right cues after her training:)

Eolith 11-15-2008 01:55 PM

I agree that it is very important for you to know the trainer you're sending your horse to. Talk to them extensively, see him/her ride some of the horses they've trained or are training. Perhaps even ask about people you could call and talk to as references to see how satisfied they are.

And definitely drop by to check in on your horse and his progress periodically.

equineangel91 11-15-2008 08:53 PM

its really hard to send a horse off and away to a trainer. Luckily i dont have to because i myself train.

Make sure you have access to your horse. You should be able to track him. Make sure the facilities are clean, safe, and well staffed. Be sure the footing and arena are safe. Ask about methods of the rider, to they rely too much on crops, spurs, or stong bits? be sure they are training properly and not just using force, its commonly done

Zab 11-15-2008 09:07 PM

And at last; listen to your feelings. If you've seen a lot of the place and training, and you're welcome to see your horse, and it feels good.. go for it. Even if perhaps one small detail isn't perfect.
But if it feels bad..don't.Not even if it all seems perfect.

ahearn 11-15-2008 10:03 PM

I have my trainer also keep a daily log. It wasn't to keep tabs on the trainer, but a way to know what happened during the day AND if there were any issues with certain training techniques. My horse(s) is a mare, so it also helped me tracked her heat cycle. In the long run , she thanked me for it and has continued using it for other clients. If they don't want to do this for you, look the other way! JMO....

Mira 11-16-2008 11:48 AM

I think you know a trainer is right for your horse if you see positive results. During/after my first lesson with my trainer, my horse was completely different. He taught me how to achieve exactly what I wanted in minutes because he's got a lot of experience. Usually the first thing he told me to do worked. I lessoned with him for a year before he ever rode my horse. Got right on and had him doing everything I could get him to do and more ten times better. So, sent him for training for about 10 days and he came back even more amazing. I didn't think twice because I'd already been taking lessons from him for a year, watched him ride and train other people's horses, saw the care, their barn, all that so I trusted him and it was great. :) Before lessoning with my trainer, I took lessons from a girl and we improved a lot, too, but it wasn't anything like the leaps and bounds I made with my trainer so I stuck with him and still am. :D

Thunder 11-16-2008 01:25 PM

Thanks for your advices!

Due to my schedules and lack of proper facility (no arena to ride in), I couldn’t start Thunder under saddle this time. I’ve started two horses under saddle before (I still own them and they’re my awesome trail horses!). Both horses I started under saddle are 17.3 hands and Thunder is only 15.1 hands. :shock: :shock:

I own Thunder since he was yearling and he lives at my place. So I'll visit Thunder daily. :-)

Zab 11-16-2008 01:56 PM

I started Crow without an arena x) Had someone holding him the first time and so on.. got to where I could stop and turn him without problems, but has sent him away for more schooling now :P

Nadia 11-16-2008 04:14 PM

I know when. When they don't make a horse do something, they ask it and the horses accepts. If your horse is relaxed and flexible then everything will work out. (You'll all be thinking now, whats this woman got with her relaxation and flexiblity?! It's the most important thing in dressage and even jumping)