The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   If you wanna run, lets run. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/if-you-wanna-run-lets-run-176561/)

QHriderKE 04-16-2013 10:00 PM

If you wanna run, lets run.

My mare is everywhere at a lope. Her head instantly shoots up and she just tries to run. I have done a lot of transitions, half halts, circles, straight lines ect..... and Im at a dead end. So - if she wants to run so bad, I figured I'd just take her out in the stubble fields and let her run until she figures out that running isnt so fun anymore and then push her past her not wanting to run anymore.

Good idea? Or an easy way to blow her up?
Im just stuck between a rock and a hard place....

CLaPorte432 04-16-2013 10:02 PM

893 Attachment(s)
more times then not this is going to blow up in your face and create a monster.

no helpful information from me. sorry. :-p
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 04-16-2013 10:05 PM

My gelding did this to me when I first got him.....strange now when I ride him he has a slow button and a slower button....:? But one day I got fed up and just sat there and let him run laps around the arena and EVERYTIME he wanted to slow down I made him pick up speed....he changed his mind pretty fast about picking up too much steam without me asking for it.....

This technique all depends on the temperament of the horse......if you do this you are just going to have to sit there and relax and act like its another day at the farm:wink: My horse is fairly laid back and always has been, he started doing the 'moving out' when I first got him.....the 'ok, you wanna run then do ya?' trick worked well with him.

Roperchick 04-16-2013 10:10 PM

It depends on the horse.

My old roping made would get really hot if I let her just blow out one day. It would take a couple days of wp work to get her back down

My crazy a$$ tb wouldn't calm down so one day I took him out to the wash let him run himself out and he was am angel afterwards. And occasionally on a trail I would let him run I'm the wash and he'd be awesome after that

Phly 04-16-2013 10:16 PM

I agree that it depends on the horse. You'd be in the next county and still running on my gelding. My wife's gelding on the other hand would fall over dead before he got to town.
Posted via Mobile Device

soenjer55 04-16-2013 10:17 PM

I've found that it really depends on the horse. I've done this before with horses and it's worked like a charm- mostly because all they needed to do was get that piss and vinegar out of their systems. But some horses I wouldn't dare do that with. It really depends on her, because letting her haul off may not teach her that it's 'not fun anymore'- she may like it too much, lol. Some horses take it as a reward, some think it's a punishment, and if it's a reward you need to make sure that she does something to earn it. The first thing I would do is try to get to the root of why she wants to run- too much energy? Just a love for running? Evasion/ attempt to ignore you, if that makes sense?

Skyseternalangel 04-16-2013 10:23 PM

I'd introduce lateral work with lope breaks inbetween and lots of walking

QHriderKE 04-16-2013 10:35 PM

She is naturally a hot horse, but when I try and just keep her in a slower lope, she gets all bunched up and doesnt move out at all and then she tries to buck or something silly. I've just tried to push her onto the bit and that hasnt helped.

So, im thinking letting her blow off some pent up nerves and energy and maybe move out better at a lope so I can do something with her at the lope without her being awful to ride.

We have been working mostly w/t for the past year... so no issues there.

I also find that the more I lope her at once, the more relaxed she gets but its a long process to get to that point.

soenjer55 04-16-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 2256505)
She is naturally a hot horse, but when I try and just keep her in a slower lope, she gets all bunched up and doesnt move out at all and then she tries to buck or something silly. I've just tried to push her onto the bit and that hasnt helped.

So, im thinking letting her blow off some pent up nerves and energy and maybe move out better at a lope so I can do something with her at the lope without her being awful to ride.

We have been working mostly w/t for the past year... so no issues there.

I also find that the more I lope her at once, the more relaxed she gets but its a long process to get to that point.

In that case, I'd let her go and see what happens. As long as you're sure it won't be dangerous, I'd at least try it and see if that's what she needs. If she behaves well while you work her, you can do a light session of walk/trot, then, if she's really good and you feel that she's at a good place, take her out and let her gallop like she wants as a reward and see if that's a solution. Since she's only been doing walk/trot, she might just need that release while under saddle.
-edit- although I'd like to add that if she's a naturally hot horse, it might not be a good idea- she might just work herself up and sometimes that can actually set you back training-wise. You did say that she behaves better when she gets to go faster, though, so I still think it's worth a try at least.

QHriderKE 04-16-2013 10:48 PM

I mean, Ive let her stretch out chasing some cows this Spring and last Fall, but shes good with cows, its just when I'm not around cows... lol.

I think it would be good to just let her run and learn HOW to stretch out (I've never open her up yet - Im scared crapless, she's fast and I've opened my dads TB up... so this mare is REALLY fast). When my snow goes away next week, I'll give it a shot I think. It might just do the trick for her.