The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Does this count as join up? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/does-count-join-up-176649/)

Breezy2011 04-17-2013 01:22 AM

Does this count as join up?

Okay, so there are days when my filly has a lot of energy, and just wants to run, and she does not pay attention to me, causing her to throw a 'tantrum' while lunging, or even just going out on a walk. On these days, I will bring her back in her pen, take the lead off, and make her run.

When I do this, she stays pretty close to me, and will usually run circles around me (about 10-15 feet away from me) even though her pen is a lot larger then that. I make her change directions a lot, and I make her run, not just let her run it out herself. I have done this 2 times in the past 2-3 months, and both these times, when she is huffing and puffing, I will release pressure, she will turn to me, ears up, and I will call her to me. When I say her name she will trot over to me, put her head down and stand there, then she will follow me around. I will put the lead back on her, and do our normal work, like lunging, yeilding, backing up, stopping, etc. and she will do it perfectly, without a head shake, no ears pinned, and will respond to me as soon as I ask.

Does this count as join up?

GreenBackJack 04-17-2013 02:05 AM

Let me ask you this: Does it FEEL like join up or just obedience? For me those are two different things. That's just me of course, but I do feel there is a difference between basic obedience and leadership/partnership.

toto 04-17-2013 02:38 AM

I think 'join up' is when the horse sees you as non threatening and trusts you as the leader for the first time.. this sounds more like just ground work. I think youve already 'bonded' if you wil.. with you mare. :)

clairegillies 04-17-2013 05:32 AM

I think/in my opinion... that the first couple of times you do this it is 'join up' and counts as bonding. but after that it becomes a habit and is obedience.

both good in my opinion.

Claire

loosie 04-17-2013 09:28 AM

Sounds nice to me, whatever you want to call it. ;-) If your horse is full of beans & wants to play, I think it's a great way to enhance your relationship by encouraging it, while directing it. You might try it out of the yard too, off line & see what it takes to get her to stay with you there.