The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Keeping flies away (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/keeping-flies-away-176761/)

LoveDressage 04-17-2013 08:06 AM

Keeping flies away

How do you do to get rid of horse flies or to keep them aways of your horses?

walkwavy 04-17-2013 08:21 AM

Thus far this year in Minnesota, we have been using snow & freezing rain. Haven't had a fly yet so must be working!

cakemom 04-17-2013 08:27 AM

We feed diatomaceous earth, as well as spreading it around and good pasture maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roadyy 04-17-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakemom (Post 2259305)
We feed diatomaceous earth, as well as spreading it around and good pasture maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device

I understand it being good for exoskeleton bugs such as ants, fleas and roaches, but could not find any info showing it deterring or killing flies. I found where it has been effective in killing a lot of bacteria in farm animals when used a dewormer and such.

It is rather cheap in comparison so I think I will get some to spread around the house (inside and out) to keep the bugs out. I will, also, try it around the barn and poop storing piles to see if there is a difference.

Just have to talk the DW into doing it after the morning dew has lifted since it stops the effectiveness of it once it gets wet.

SaddleOnline 04-17-2013 02:39 PM

prompt poop removal/fly predators in the poop pile, garlic and fly sheets!

cakemom 04-17-2013 02:48 PM

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 04-17-2013 03:00 PM

We always have an aweful time with flies because of a neighbor's compost pile and our inability to do anything about that. For our filly with a wound that can't be wrapped, I have been using SWAT on the wound itself, then spraying her with an all-natural fly spray (I didnt want chemicals all over her body all the time, because her Immune System is compromised) every other day. She is also being fed fresh, chopped garlic cloves every day. Keeping your horse on a low fat, low sugar diet will help as well.

Roadyy 04-17-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakemom (Post 2262521)
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, I didn't see that site in my search...Very good to know and will get some on the way.

cakemom 04-17-2013 05:39 PM

I feed it to my dogs as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Farmchic 04-17-2013 05:46 PM

Well that's just interesting. Has anyone taken it themselves? No one near us sells it, can you order it?