The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping pics & videos! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-pics-videos-17683/)

xXiluv2jumpXx 11-15-2008 07:15 PM

Jumping pics & videos!

Here are some pictures/videos of me jumping my buddy Prestige.
Please post some of you if you want or just comment. Thanks:-)

This first one is recent, the jumps range from 2'-3' feet high.

The second one, was taken a long time ago and the jumps are only about 1' foot.

Thanks for watching!
MADDIE

PoptartShop 11-15-2008 07:43 PM

Great videos! :) You guys look nice!

fedex 11-15-2008 08:33 PM

First Video:

When you are in your two-point, you need to make sure that your hands are not holding you up. Your weight should be in your heels, with your center back. Hanging on the horse's mouth isn't fair to them, or correct when you're in two-point.
Also, your toes are down and your leg is too forward. Working on distributing your weight evenly through your leg comes with more practice. I'd work on posting and two-pointing with no stirrups.
At the canter, you're pumping your upper body forward. I see that your horse was a little strung out, but try to push him through it with your seat and legs, not your shoulders. Again, your hands are a little heavy on his mouth.

Jumping: You could use some more control. That comes with balance, etc.. I've already mentioned it. Also, you're getting ahead of your horse. Remember, take off and landing is extremely important. If you throw your weight forward on the takeoff stride, you are putting weight on his forehand. His jump process is interfered, and if he refused, you'd fly over his head. The answer? Many riders struggle with the same thing. You need to wait with your horse, and let him bring you up and close your hip angle.

2nd video:
You need to release. That is so important. Although the jumps are small, you can't hold your horse's mouth over a fence, no matter the height. I also think you could lower your stirrups a few holes, so that your legs have more contact and you can "Wrap-around" your horse.

Overall, you have a few things you could improve, but you're doing pretty good. I listed a lot of things! But I would critique any rider if they posted here. :)
Have fun jumping.

equineangel91 11-15-2008 09:47 PM

well i think fedex said just about everything.

HorsesAreForever 11-19-2008 07:53 PM

Yea fedex basiclly said it.. but none of those jumps are 3'.. the highest I saw was maybe 1ft 1/2 Lowest I was saw 6in...

Have fun jumping :) Practice makes perfect.

Jacksonlover 11-24-2008 04:14 PM

im not gonna critque you, but you did awesome!!! i know, yeah there was some issues, but who cares!!! you will only get better with practice, but very nice job!! in the first vid it lokked like your horse was gettin funky at the canter!! lol, but you pulled him together, very nice job. that was how i fell of the first time, my horse did the bouncy canter thing and i freaked out, my heels came up and plop!!! in the sand! lol

xXiluv2jumpXx 11-24-2008 04:22 PM

Thanks for the good advice fedex, but I do have a personal instructor helping me improve, for obviously I'm not perfect. In fact that was my first show jumping 3 foot verticals, so there was a lot I could work on. Once again, thanks for the advice, but for now I think I'm fine just working with my trainer, for its easier to learn when you're really on a horse.

HorsesAreForever 11-24-2008 05:10 PM

I have to mention again those aren't 3 feet unless if my computer is showing me a different video....

xXiluv2jumpXx 11-27-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreForever (Post 196839)
I have to mention again those aren't 3 feet unless if my computer is showing me a different video....

I think you're right... I meant to say 2. One of them was 3, but all the others were not.

HorsesAreForever 11-27-2008 11:43 AM

I see one 2' and the other ones are 1 ft - 6inches :) You doing very good thought :)! Practice makes perfect :)