The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

So yesterday I've had my first lesson...

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TheLauren 
#1 ·
So, the BO of the ranch I volunteer at decided to give the volunteers who spend a lot of time there free lessons! I was so happy and excited and not that many people were there (about 4 people are getting the lessons, including me) yesterday, just me and another guy. But the lesson was awesome! I learned a lot and realized what I was doing wrong. We worked on turning, and it was a little difficult I admit because we held a rein in each hand instead of the texas-style that I'm used to. I realized that I pull to my butt instead of my belly button without realizing it and that I tend to sit too far back. Anyways,do you guys have any suggestions to what I can do to improve the way I sit without me needing to be on a horse? (the lessons are on tuesdays.)

#2 ·
Yep! Get an exercise ball and sit on it like your riding, wrap your legs around it and keep your heels down, make sure your legs stay secure then practice posting trot. I know this sounds odd, but bounce on the ball while keeping it in a firm hold, DO NOT use your hands to balance because this will lead to you having a firm hand while in the saddle and dont brace with your knees. As for heels down (if thats an issue) just stand with your toes against a wall or on a step, and let your ankle relax till your heels go down, eventually it will become natural. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.