The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Right Age to Start?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Saddlebag 
#1 ·
I do not want this to start an argument on whats a good age to start. Thats not really what I am asking. Some people I am around a lot recently purchased a yearling paint (turns 2 officially at the end of the month) as a present for an 11 year old girl with very, very, VERY limited horse experience. He was a cryptorchid, they took him down for surgery about 2 weeks ago now. I went over there about 2 days ago to find the man leading the little girl around on the horse, bareback!!

Now he isnt some big, bulky boy. My guess is that he hands 13 hands IF that. Late bloomer, straggly and imho still looks like a yearling. No matter what I tell them they dont believe that breaking him to ride would create issues. Now if he was solid and not such a little guy I would let them do as they please. However, this bothers me. Does anyone have any information on the dangers of starting horses too early? I know if they see actual information about the dangers of it they will rethink this. They do love him, just arent trainers.

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Hair

See less See more
#3 ·
Good article Roper! Also look up Dr Deb Bennett Equine Studies Institute Homepage for the studies of much of what they talk about in that article. Dr Bowker's research also shows that *even in ideal situations* a horse's caudal foot(heel region) doesn't *begin to develop a lot of strength until at least 4-6 years old.

#4 ·
From that picture, he looks very foal like. Great articles from Loosie & Roperchick, hopefully the owners will comprehend the information in those and utilize it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Uh oh :( all his joints are open and growing. His hocks, his knees, everything. A horse is truly not fully formed until 4 to 6. Even stock breeds. Whether they are growing in height or just broadening out. Not to say you shouldnt start riding until they are 5 but 1? Especially since he looks like a young yearling.

Even though many people start to ride at 2 I have seen so many horses that were pushed too hard too fast ruined by 9 or 10 getting hocks and stifles injected just to stay sound.

If these people just intend to do what their doing now, leading around for pony rides and eventually having a kid plod around he will hopefully be ok but demanding work will definitely break him down. He def shouldn't have a full grown man riding him at that size and age. He is very clearly still growing out and up. He'll probably be a hand or maybe 3 taller by the age of 5.

I would tell them to consult a vet. I doubt a vet would advise them to begin riding or at least not any demanding work. Maybe next time your vet is out for shots or something. Maybe a farrier would give them good advice bc they def know the beating a horses feet and legs can take. That way they can hear it from a professional in person. It sounds like they need a step by step plan since they are beginners such as once he weighs this much you can do this or once hes this age you can start riding for up to 5 days a week for this long doing these gaits/exercises.

Best of luck!

#6 ·
One little bit of not so bad news. Small horses are less likely to have problems than large ones. They mature faster, and are less prone to damage from early starting, so long as they are not over loaded with too much weight.

That said. Still not a good idea to start riding any of them until they are 3 plus.

#7 ·
Small horses are less likely to have problems than large ones. They mature faster, and are less prone to damage from early starting,
That is unfortunately a fallacy. NO horse is mature physically before the age of around 6yo. Fallabella, Shire or anything in between.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone. I have been voicing my opinion on this for a little while but I never seem to get anywhere. The actual owners have never owned a horse before (the 11 year old girls parents) and I know that they would never want to hurt him! However the people that gave him to the girl think they know "everything" and it is rather frustrating.

I am hoping by supplying the girls parents and the barn owner with factual information that they will understand why I am saying the things I am. I do not feel he should have anyone on his back till he starts getting more defined. Plus putting a girl I would call a solid beginner on his back is NOT a safe idea either.

#12 ·
Perhaps remind him about green and green making black and blue. Has there been a reference to the little girl's weight? Perhaps provide information of how horses, especially young ones are ingrained to be highly reactive as that is how horses survived for millenia. You could mention how when a horse reacts all the thought process shut down. Their eyesight doesn't work like ours, think camera a bit out of focus, that the horse sees something very differently from us. Information like this seems to work better than saying your shouldn't.... because....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.