The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   SMB's only on the front? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/smbs-only-front-17697/)

Britt 11-15-2008 10:45 PM

SMB's only on the front?

I just bought SMB II boots for my mare... but I have a question... I've only ever seen SMB's used as a group of four (one for each leg)... Is it ok to use them only on the front?

Miss Katie 11-15-2008 10:47 PM

Yes, if you feel your horse only needs support and protection from knocks on the front.

Britt 11-15-2008 11:06 PM

Cool I only gother the boots so they would help support and protect her legs when we trail ride, because I ride for hours on end and in rough areas.

appylover31803 11-15-2008 11:49 PM

i have a pair of the elites, but I only have the rear ones. when I use them, i have splint boots on the front and the elites on the back.

Though I am looking to get a set of 4 for when I go trail riding.

jamesjobrien 11-28-2008 05:43 PM

hey britt - i agree with miss katie. however, if you ride in rough terrain, you may find yourself cleaning debree from your neoprene boots ALL THE TIME.

i knew about ed galemba leather leg protection but didn't know if they had boots for all four legs. i checked, and come to find out they do. i think the site is www.edgalemba.com

BeauReba 11-28-2008 10:00 PM

Always boot or bandage both front, both hind, or all four. You don't have to do front AND back, but you can't do both left or both right legs.

Got2Gallop 11-29-2008 04:06 AM

I've always used SMB's and I've always done them front only, I guess because I feel there is more pressure on the forehand generally and so more of a need for protection on the forelegs. It has worked out fine for me this way so far.

My2Geldings 11-30-2008 09:35 AM

Abo****ely, there is no reason you couldn't do so. If you feel you need protection in the front tho, chances are whatever it is you are doing would be more ideal if you also had some leg wear in the back. What color did you pick?