The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Dark Bay? Brown? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/dark-bay-brown-177049/)

Sweeney Road 04-17-2013 06:30 PM

Dark Bay? Brown?

I think I need to do a test on this beautiful old mare, but anyone want to tell me what colour she is?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...psae708d1c.jpg

NdAppy 04-17-2013 07:02 PM

Brown. :grin:

waresbear 04-17-2013 07:56 PM

Yay, I guessed the same a Nd!!!! You're all gonna me make color informed yet!

Peppy Barrel Racing 04-17-2013 07:59 PM

Beautiful brown!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweeney Road 04-17-2013 08:02 PM

Yeah, that's what I think too. We thought originally she was a bay, but I'm thinking that brown muzzle looks suspiciously...BROWN.

Thanks!

toto 04-17-2013 08:07 PM

Brown momma. I like how the brown travels up the side of her face.. neat lookin.

Sweeney Road 04-17-2013 09:53 PM

Sounds as if 100% of the vote is for BROWN, so I think I will go with that. Thanks everyone :D .

MacabreMikolaj 04-18-2013 11:44 AM

I do believe general consensus is that there is "no such thing" as dark bay - dark bay's are actually browns and were labelled dark bay before we labelled the gene for brown.

I could be wrong, someone correct me, but I can't remember the last time I saw a pic of a "dark bay" that wasn't actually brown.

She's definitly brown though. About as classic brown as it gets!
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 04-18-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj (Post 2271177)
I do believe general consensus is that there is "no such thing" as dark bay - dark bay's are actually browns and were labelled dark bay before we labelled the gene for brown.

I could be wrong, someone correct me, but I can't remember the last time I saw a pic of a "dark bay" that wasn't actually brown.

She's definitly brown though. About as classic brown as it gets!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not 100% sure there's no such thing as a dark bay. I kind of think of it like this: agouti restricts the expression of black (in different ways depending on whether it's classic, seal, or wild bay) and reveals the "underlying" red. I don't see why that red couldn't vary in shade just as much as chestnut (from bright "sorrel" to liver chestnut)

This is, of course, just my theory, since I haven't seen a lot of horses that have been tested for At specifically to really confirm or deny. I wish I had a bunch of money to spend on testing; there are a bunch of horses at my barn that I'd love to see what their results are!

Faceman 04-18-2013 08:10 PM

Yes, there are dark bays. If you research how to identify seal brown, they often use a dark bay horse as a comparison to show the differences between bay and brown. I'm not into bays, so am clueless how common they are, though...