The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Who is going to Rolex? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/who-going-rolex-177153/)

RunSlideStop 04-17-2013 08:37 PM

Who is going to Rolex?

Is anyone else going? It would be fun to have a HF meet-up, or something. :)

I've never been before, and my birthday is the 24th (starts the 25th), so needless to say I am super excited. I'm going as press, so I hope to bring you all back a plethora of lovely photos (I hear pictures of Boyd Martin are in high demand)...

Stories? Tips? :D

callidorre 04-18-2013 04:17 AM

I'm going! I went last year for the first time. I think I'm skipping the first dressage day. Going part of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Both of the girls I'm going with this year also went last year with me (along with some others). All 3 of us were Will Coleman and Twizzel fans by the end of Rolex last year. Pretty horse and rider. Last I knew, Twizzel was entered for this year (he's an older competition horse and will probably retire soon), so hopefully they make it.

Last year on cross country day, we staked out bleacher seats for the head of the lake in the morning. Got there nice and early in the cold. I don't think we'll do that again this year. It's nice to walk around a bit to different jumps. The water jumps are interesting to watch. But there's plenty of other jumps to watch too. I recommend doing a course walk or two-where they have someone (generally a competitor or two) walk over the course and tell you about how they plan to aproach the jumps and can answer crowd questions. We did one with Phillip Dutton last year which was great. And then did part of Smartpak's one, but split off after a bit since it looked like they were going to go over the whole course, and we had other things to do. We got a bunch of free samples from the Smartpak one and a horse nasal strip thing from PD's one.

We also did a few thoroughbred farm tours while we were there. I loved those. I got to see some famous stallions and one of the farms was Claiborne, where Secretariet stood. So, we saw his grave and his old stall.

The horse park has other barns and activities away from the main vendor area and arena. They do a little show thing where they bring out some ex-racehorses (geldings or un-breedable for whatever reasons) that live on the grounds. Cigar and Funny Cide (loved him!) were both there. They have some sort of guided trail ride on the property. We actually found a trail riding group away from there somewhere that I think we're going to try and go do as a group thing this year (my little group of Rolex people is from another forum and we live quite far apart from eachother normally).

We went to Keeneland last year on Friday, which was the last day of racing for that meet. That was neat, and I think we're going again this year. They have a gift shop, and had some decent prices for souvenirs. The horse park's souvenirs are very expensive, FYI. So, I actually bought two shirts at Keeneland, and none at Rolex. I did get a glass cup at Rolex, to at least have some sort of Souvenir.
Posted via Mobile Device

callidorre 04-18-2013 04:18 AM

Silly phone double post.

callidorre 04-18-2013 07:50 AM

I completely missed where you mentioned you're going as press. You probably didn't need all that info on activities in the area. Let's see..... as I said, definitely do at least one course walk. Check out a variety of the cross country jumps on Saturday. And scout them out before Saturday also, for ones that you like/find interesting to watch be jumped. If there's someone you really want to see Saturday, watch them near the beginning. When we were sitting at the head of the lake last year, it took like 5 riders before anyone even reached us. Someone withdrew, and a few people, including Karen O'Connor, fell off. There might have been some refusals mixed in there too.

There's going to be a lot of walking. Wear very comfortable shoes and clothes. I suggest some sort of bag/backpack set up for your things to carry around. Purina gave out some of those athletic backpacks with strings as the straps last year. That's what I used after day 1. Remember common sense things like hats, sun block, and sunglasses.

Aggs 04-18-2013 09:07 PM

What's Rolex?

Kotori 04-18-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aggs (Post 2276801)
What's Rolex?

Oh good I'm not the only one! My BO asked me and I didn't know what to tell her. No idea what it is, where it is or when it is. All I know is there will be neigh-neighs and 'It'll be lots of fun'

TheAQHAGirl 04-18-2013 10:04 PM

Are you guys talking about the World Equestrian Games?

RunSlideStop 04-18-2013 10:12 PM

Rolex Kentucky CCI**** 3-Day Event in Lexington, Kentucky! :) April 25-28... Rolex Kentucky Three Day Event, Equestrian Events Kentucky, Equine Dressage, Equine Jumping

It's the only 4-star (highest rating) 3-day event in America (I think on the continent?), and is part of the Eventing Grand Slam (like the Triple Crown in racing) - Rolex Kentucky, Burghley Horse Trials, and Badminton Horse Trials.

Callidore - Thanks for all the tips! :) I will be making an itinerary tomorrow to make sure things happen that we want to actually happen (ie don't get stuck somewhere or forget something). It will be a trial & error process I assume, but it will be nice to have a sort of schedule figured out. -- For press, I still need to find out more about the XC course and will definitely be taking a course walk (or two). I get to shoot from inside the ring for jumping and dressage (yay!) so I will very happily be sharing photos from that as well.

I am happy that events seem to end fairly early in the afternoon, so there will still be time to do other things in town (if we're not falling on our faces!) - We've booked a hotel 20 minutes away, so will have to plan for traffic, but we have Media parking, so that is taken care of. Score! :)

Any other thoughts/tips/ideas? What about the weather??

RunSlideStop 04-18-2013 10:15 PM

Nearly forgot! Also going as press to the Reining Cup! Anyone been/going to that? I am STOKED, as reining is really my favorite.

TheAQHAGirl 04-18-2013 10:28 PM

Thanks for the info RunSlideStop. Sounds like fun, wish I could go!

Take lots of pics and post them here when you guys come back!