The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Movies, books, & other boredom busters (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/movies-books-other-boredom-busters-177161/)

busysmurf 04-17-2013 09:46 PM

Movies, books, & other boredom busters

So in 2 weeks, I'm having surgery and will need to be on bed rest for 10-14 days:evil:

Here's my thoughts so far:
-The Big Bang Theory (if I can find the dvd's to rent, I don't want to buy anything)
-House
-The BB movie, if someone, i.e hubby, can find it.
-The Horse Whisperer, if it can be found (no luck so far:?)

Books
-Odd Thomas (I have the first 3). But I can finish those in a day.

And of course, hanging around HF.

Any other ideas??

amberly 04-17-2013 09:57 PM

I hope your surgery goes well!! Mind if I ask what for??

I am not good with movies, so I'll go to the books, ;)
- any Nickolas sparks books are awesome. My favorite is "A walk to remember" That is my #1
- Riding lessons and flying changes. two great English horse books
- Montana Blue. A great western horse book
- Mountain Solo. It's like a book about a girl and her violin or somethin, but it was really good.

I could think of more but my mind is dead. haha!

busysmurf 04-17-2013 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=amberly;2265945]I hope your surgery goes well!! Mind if I ask what for??

I am not good with movies, so I'll go to the books, ;)
- any Nickolas sparks books are awesome. My favorite is "A walk to remember" That is my #1
- Riding lessons READ IT TWICE, LOL and flying changes SAME HERE. two great English horse books
- Montana Blue. A great western horse book I'LL HAVE TO LOOK FOR THAT ONE
- Mountain Solo. It's like a book about a girl and her violin or somethin, but it was really good.

I could think of more but my mind is dead. haha![/QUOTE

http://www.horseforum.com/rider-well...did-me-156403/

NdAppy 04-17-2013 10:35 PM

*sigh* I go in for surgery on Monday. Netflix is going to be my friend. :rofl:

busysmurf 04-17-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 2266385)
*sigh* I go in for surgery on Monday. Netflix is going to be my friend. :rofl:

Wait 2 weeks, then we'll suffer together, lol

NdAppy 04-17-2013 11:19 PM

Lol I'm supposed to "rest" for six weeks... :rofl:

Horsequeen08 04-18-2013 02:08 AM

Some of my favorites:

Western novels:
Anything by Ralph Cotton. Hangman's Choice and Jurisdition are two of my fav books EVER.

Fiction/twisted:
I personally LOVE books where you have no idea of the crazy twists that just happen suddenly and make you go OMG SERIOUSLY!? Lol. In that catagory are two books I myself just recently red.
-The thirteeth tale by diane setterfield. Just dang good read. I couldn't put it down and WHAT a twist. It is more fiction then anything.
-Endless Night by Agatha Christie. Of course everyone knows her as the queen of mystery, but this one wasn't really a mystery. I'd put it more fiction. I literally said "What the ****!" super loud and out loud when I got to the twist. Great, great stuff.

Fantasy:
I like fantasy, NOT si-fy. There is a difference.
My favorite book of all time, number 1 in any genre ever:
Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Epic. Just EPIC. Not only are the characters so well developed, but he is by far the most talented writer I've ever read. Just word choice and characters and everything....amazing. <3

Movies:
I'll just list some that I really love. I'm not sure your taste nor how old you are, but I'll add a little bit of everything in no order at all (I might mention that I'll watch nearly anything in and genre. So yes, there are kids movies in here cuz I love them! as well as adult and rated R stuff) :
-21 jump street
-lord of the rings and/or the hobbit
-The Burbs
-The Others (w/ Nicole Kidman, another really good twist in that one)
- Boondock Saints
-Skyfall
- Tangled
-How to train your dragon
-Fight club
-Paranormal Activity 3 (the only one that scared me)
- Role Models
-Source Code

I can go on and on....

As far as other things to do besides reading and movies- play board games or dvd games, video games if you have any, card games, laptop/comptuer games (The sims is super addictive). There is always trying you hand at drawing and/or writing for fun. There is arts and crafts too, maybe go to the craft store before hand and find something such as latch hook or cross stich.

I hope everything goes well and you are ok! GOOD LUCK!
(Feel free to PM me if you want any more than what I've already listed!)

Horsequeen08 04-18-2013 02:12 AM

Oh there are always TV show seasons. You can usually find them online at one site or another if you can't get ahold of actual copies of the seasons:
24 (there are 8 seasons)
Big Bang, as you said. (I only liked seasons 1-4. It got stuppppid after that imo)
Arrow (new tv show currently on CW. I'm madly in love with it.)
Game of thrones (two seasons out on dvd, the third season is 3 episodes in)
Entorage (show's ended, you should be able to find these)
That's all I can think of right now, it is super late haha.

NdAppy 04-18-2013 12:49 PM

Was going to suggest if you can get your hands on the original Flicka books they are a good read.

National Velvet is decent.

I'm rereading the Obsidian Trilogy and Enduring Flame series, but those are more fantasy/magic/dragons/etc so not sure if that's up your alley.

Peirs Anthony has a lot of good books in the Xanath Series, but again magic/fantasy books.

What are you having surgery for?

texasgal 04-18-2013 01:00 PM

Do you have NetFlix? I'm wasting soooooooooooooooooo much time there now that we have it!

The original Dark Shadows 1966
All the Law and Orders from 1990
Disney movies galore!

Mindless games online ...

or not-so-mindless games .. like HOWRSE