The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Is she engaging her back (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/she-engaging-her-back-177185/)

Rachel1786 04-17-2013 10:33 PM

Is she engaging her back

Before I post the video, I want to say, I grabbed the wrong side reins and they were way to short, so I had to improvise, if I lunge her with nothing she just keeps throwing her head up and down looking for contact.
Anyway, to me it looks like there are moments when she is engaging her back, but I really wanted other opinions. She hasn't been ridden since october(long story) now that the weather is finally nice and the ground has firmed up, I'm finally starting to work her again. This is only her second time being lunged since her time off so she is a bit out of shape. I'm doing short sessions to start. I lunged her first and then my friend took over(partly because I'm terribly uncoordinated lol) so I could film.

disastercupcake 04-20-2013 05:17 PM

To me she looks like she goes in and out of it- she uses her back, puts her head up and loses it, uses it again... etc. I think simply working her more will build up that fitness level, which is probably why she is so unsure about it right now :)

Skyseternalangel 04-23-2013 10:34 PM

:( Youtube has been glitchy with me lately and it's not working.

tinyliny 04-23-2013 10:51 PM

The focus of the video isn't great, so it's hard for me to see much detail, but all in all, I think you're doing a pretty nice job there. For a hrose that is out of shape, she did well, didnt stress, seemed to accept the contact well and had some nice moments. I think this is a good start! one of the better lunging vids i've seen posted on HF.

Rachel1786 04-24-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disastercupcake (Post 2292649)
To me she looks like she goes in and out of it- she uses her back, puts her head up and loses it, uses it again... etc. I think simply working her more will build up that fitness level, which is probably why she is so unsure about it right now :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 2325681)
:( Youtube has been glitchy with me lately and it's not working.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2326033)
The focus of the video isn't great, so it's hard for me to see much detail, but all in all, I think you're doing a pretty nice job there. For a hrose that is out of shape, she did well, didnt stress, seemed to accept the contact well and had some nice moments. I think this is a good start! one of the better lunging vids i've seen posted on HF.

Sorry for the focus, I had to use my cell phone(which I think is actually better then my little point and shoot camera that takes video, sadly my DSLR doesn't take video.

Do you guys see any lameness at all? I don't, but someone on HGS says that it looks like she has SI issues or stifle issues and the matter how many times I watch the video I don't see it. I've asked my trainer to watch the video when she has time to see if she sees it, I'll see her on Friday so I'll ask her then if she watched it yet.

Weezilla 04-30-2013 04:05 PM

I didn't see any lameness, FWIW, though certainly have your trainer not only watch the video but have her out to evaluate her in person.

I wouldn't say that she is using her back here. What she is doing is stretching into the contact, which comes first. *Once you are certain she is sound*, you can spiral her in at trot, then send her out and forward... you will see lots of stretch--its a leg yield of sorts on the longe. You can do it at trot and canter if she is willing, but be careful about keeping the circle as large as you can to start with, and when you ask her to come in, do not ask for too small a circle for too long - watch the tracking of her hind legs on the circle. When her hind legs make a larger circle than the front (haunches out), she is working HARD and must be released back to the large circle after just a few steps to a circle or two. Its a lovely gymnastic exercise, done in brief segments, and you should see that trot get more stretchy and lofty. Just be careful not to ask for too much--I only longe a sound horse for about 10 min. per side, and I try to keep the circle as large as I can, walking a lot, unless I am working on an exercise.

She is super cute! I hope her comeback continues without any glitches:-)