The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Got my new show halter!! ...but it has a scratch. Fixable? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/got-my-new-show-halter-but-177201/)

SlideStop 04-17-2013 09:43 PM

Got my new show halter!! ...but it has a scratch. Fixable?
 
:happydance::happydance:
I bought a show halter off eBay the other day. I'm in love with it! It's has the star like the Showman one I wanted. This one was half the price and is twice the quality! It's thin, so it won't look to bulky on my horse. I'm not a huge fan of silver and bling but I feel this one has without being over the top. I cannot wait to put it on my girl!

But... it has a huge scratch on the left side of the crown piece that I wasn't aware of (that's eBay for you). I guess it's really not the end of the world. I'm not going to APHA world shows, haha, but I'd rather it not be there. Do you think oiling it will darken it up? It looks like it hasn't been oiled in a while. I figured worst case I'd have to take it to the local leather guy and maybe he can dye it or something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.horseforum.com/members/29...0259-40961.jpg

This is the huge scratch
http://www.horseforum.com/members/29...0260-40969.jpg

Here is it with the buckled
http://www.horseforum.com/members/29...0261-40977.jpg

Muppetgirl 04-17-2013 10:04 PM

Brown shoe nugget will fix that up:wink: Mind you, not the kind that comes in a bottle, I'm talking about the kind that comes in a can (actually I think it is called Kiwi brand:wink:)

Dustbunny 04-17-2013 10:09 PM

Very nice halter!!!!

Muppetgirl has a good suggestion for the scratch.

SlideStop 04-17-2013 10:24 PM

Thanks! I'll grab some from the store. Would it ruin the surrounding leather?

I'm polishing the silver (when I should be sleeping) and it looks AWESOME! Best $30 I've ever spent!
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 04-17-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 2267057)
Thanks! I'll grab some from the store. Would it ruin the surrounding leather?

I'm polishing the silver (when I should be sleeping) and it looks AWESOME! Best $30 I've ever spent!
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, shoe nugget (in the can kind) is designed for leather, it will blend the scratch and non scratched leather so you wouldn't even know it happened:wink:

waresbear 04-17-2013 10:34 PM

Depends on how the leather was dyed as to whether oiling will darken it. For $30, you might have gotten Indian processed leather, the color you see, is the color it stays and it will scratch again when you use the buckle. When oiling that type of leather, it does make it softer but it also makes it blotchy as the oil is absorbed unevenly. I know, I had the exact same halter from ebay.

CCH 04-17-2013 10:37 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't see any photos?
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 04-17-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2267201)
Depends on how the leather was dyed as to whether oiling will darken it. For $30, you might have gotten Indian processed leather, the color you see, is the color it stays and it will scratch again when you use the buckle. When oiling that type of leather, it does make it softer but it also makes it blotchy as the oil is absorbed unevenly. I know, I had the exact same halter from ebay.

Oh =\ well, I hope that doesn't happen. I guess trying is worth a shot. Worst case it doesn't work. I'm only doing a local show, nothing that would warrant super high quality craftsmanship. IMO I've felt way worse leather. Is this the best, absolutely not, but its certainly not the worst.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 04-17-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2267097)
Nope, shoe nugget (in the can kind) is designed for leather, it will blend the scratch and non scratched leather so you wouldn't even know it happened:wink:


Yay! I wish I could go out now and get it! I'm going to post photos after its done with the makeover.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 04-20-2013 10:09 AM

On ebay the seller was obligated to inform the public of the scratch. I hope you didn't give them a good rating. I'd have notified the seller and if no offer of a replacment and free shipping, I'd have made note that item was damaged and not accurately represented. Sellers lose selling priveleges as ebay has gotten tougher with them. Pic was very slow to down load. Those buckles cause that. I have had to replace them on a few bridles because of how cheaply they are made and I suggest you do as well. One broke where the tongue bar attaches. Another broke across the wide flange.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0