The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What breed is he? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-breed-he-177249/)

Heelsdown 04-17-2013 11:38 PM

What breed is he?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm looking at possibly buying my lesson horse. My trainer said he's quarter horse but he doesn't have any papers and they don't know much history on him.

This is the only picture I have but he has a pretty big head and needs larger halters either for small draft or warmblood. His chest is pretty big and his hooves are really wide. Do you think he's part draft maybe or do you think he could be full QH? Just wondering. He's such a sweetheart.

DraftyAiresMum 04-17-2013 11:42 PM

How tall is he? His head looks almost Belgian to me. Full-body pic from the side would be best for breed guesses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 04-17-2013 11:45 PM

You said he's 'such a sweetheart?' Then he's definitely a QH!!! :lol:

Just looking at his head, to me, it looks draftish......gee it's hard to say!

Phly 04-17-2013 11:49 PM

Since he's grade, he could be a QH. Very likely. But could have a lil extra something down the line. Especially since QH's aren't exactly a pure line like say Arabs. All QH's are technically mutts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Heelsdown 04-17-2013 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought the head shot was the only shot but I found a picture of his body.
It's cut off though! Both of these were taken with my camera phone and I was messing with it.

I really need to take better pics, sorry.

He's 15.1. So not a tall horse but very stocky.

DraftyAiresMum 04-17-2013 11:52 PM

I'm gonna say QH. That second pic just looks very QH-y to me (keep in mind that I own a draft cross...who looks like a "mini" Percheron with loud paint coloring).
Posted via Mobile Device

dbarabians 04-18-2013 12:39 AM

I have a double bred Hancock QH gelding that is about 15.1 and has a large head. He looks a lot like that gelding and he weighs about 1300 lbs .
I say QH. Shalom

soenjer55 04-18-2013 01:16 AM

He reminds me of the old-style, rough-looking QH's. His head isn't quite the 'baby doll' head that is the current qh trend, but it still looks pretty quarter horse-y to me... One thing that does give me a bit of pause is his hip, but he looks like he's a bit out of shape in that picture, which might be the cause of that. Overall, I'd say that he's probably at least high-percentage QH.

Heelsdown 04-18-2013 01:22 AM

soenjer55 what do you mean about the hip? He has been out of shape since not working much in the winter.

I see so many QH with the babydoll head that you mentioned that I just wasn't sure he was. I was actually hoping for a little bit of draft since I love them so and maybe he's got some in the woodpile somewhere, lol. But if not that's cool. I love quarter horses! Thanks everyone :)

dbarabians, I just googled Hancock quarter horse and wow that's so him! Maybe those are his bloodlines. Very pretty horses! Thank you for mentioning that.

soenjer55 04-18-2013 01:53 AM

Usually quarter horses and quarter horse crosses (from what I've seen) tend to have steeper croups and a bit more of a long, round-ish hip. It might be because he's not really filled out, though. Over all, I still think he's at the least mostly QH, probably from an older line, which gives him the QH look without the typical QH characteristics (if that makes sense, lol). He's a handsome guy.