The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/new-horses-17728/)

tzone 11-16-2008 03:20 PM

New to Horses

Hello everyone,

I am new to horses (the whole nine). Any suggestions as to where I start? I will eventually buy one but wanted to get my feet wet first and see what I am in for.

Thanks!

free_sprtd 11-16-2008 04:17 PM

I would suggest lessons at that start from the ground up! or even volunteer at a barn :)

free_sprtd 11-16-2008 04:33 PM

oh and lots of research books, online, ect. but definitely ride a little first.

mom3x 11-16-2008 06:43 PM

Lessons, forums, helping out at a barn, or finding a vet or trainer who will let you follow them around. Or a friend with a horse. Good luck!

Jubilee Rose 11-16-2008 08:47 PM

Well you have definitely come to the right place! Welcome to the horse forum! You will learn a lot here. :wink: I agree, start off taking lessons at a local barn. As you go along, ask if you can work in exchange for lessons. This is great for experience and you'll get to learn about horse care and maintenance. Although nothing substitutes for practical experience, I would suggest finding some good beginner horse books as well. Anything by Elwyn Hartley Edwards is excellent and informative.

Good luck! :D

Brandon 11-17-2008 12:07 PM

I think its awsome that you want to learn about horses. I would suggest that if you are unable to volunteer around at nearby barns, that you get books and read into horses. I would also call around to nearby ranchs (if there is any in your area) and see if they offer riding lessons. Riding lessons cost between $20 to $50 an hour (sometimes more than an hour). I think its great that you want to eventually buy a horse, but what i was always told is "wait a year, build up your knowledge, build up your experience, and then way your finances and if you can buy a horse, then go for it!"..

When someone asks me, how much do horses cost? I always say "Its not so much the buying, but the keepin"

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR JOURNEY TO BE A HORSEWOMEN! :D

Britt 11-17-2008 05:58 PM

If you don't want or can't do lessons, try to find a barn to volunteer at... or maybe see if there's a breeder or horse owner or something like that near you who would be willing to give you advice or something.

SonnyWimps 11-17-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzone (Post 190470)
Hello everyone,

I am new to horses (the whole nine). Any suggestions as to where I start? I will eventually buy one but wanted to get my feet wet first and see what I am in for.

Thanks!

first off, welcome to Horseforum...and welcome to the wonderful world of horses!!! You'll love it!!

I definately suggest first doing lessons just to make sure you are going to like it. I'd continue riding for probably a couple years until you are confident on many different types of horses (breeds, ages, and so on...and not just the bombproof beginner lesson horses). Then I'd ask your instructor to help you find a good reliable horse to buy.

Definately have fun with the horses you ride!!! You'll love it!

Abbygirl 11-17-2008 07:50 PM

I am also fairly new to horses. I boarded for 8 months before bringing my mare home. I needed to learn how to take care of a horse before I could bring one home and the barn owner taught me tons. Now that I have her home I want to take riding lessons and I will have the whole package!

kickshaw 11-17-2008 11:10 PM

welcome! I would start off by volunteering your time at a local barn...you will learn TONS of priceless information...and you won't have to pay for it!