The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sore in both back hocks. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sore-both-back-hocks-177361/)

BigBenLoverforLife 04-18-2013 10:26 AM

Sore in both back hocks.
 
I went on a trail ride on Sunday and most of it was walking on the road to get to the trails, and when I went out to ride my horse on Tuesday he looked a bit uncomfortable but I figured he would work out of it. Well he was fine at a walk but no way at a jog. I sprayed some liniment on it, and it seamed to help a bit since his hocks were hot a swollen. Yesterday I went out and he was no longer hot, and no swelling, but he is still sore at the jog. I could not cold hose him, as it was thunder storming and the washing area is outside.

Is there anything else I can do to help him get better faster? He is on turn out from 5 am to 4 pm and it is on 40 acres so he is always moving, and then in the stall the rest of the time. I have the option to leave him outside all the time, but he would not be very happy...

The soreness seams to be a mix of stiffness with very little pain. Should I try just walking him for a long time to get him moving and then trot for a little bit to try to work out the stiffness then walk him for a long time to keep him moving to see if it will help? Or would it just make it worse. If it doesnt get better soon I may call the vet out but since it is not life or death I want to see what my other options are. Thanks!!

Freemare 04-18-2013 11:42 AM

A lot of hock injuries come from all sorts of things. Slipping, bad feet, bad back, hard ground...etc. The first thing I would do is keep him on stall rest. He could have pulled a tendon and you dont want him walking around with that. Bute, should also help. Also I would look at his feet as well. Make sure there is nothing in there or a infection. If he does not get better in a few days you should get the vet out.

BigBenLoverforLife 04-18-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freemare (Post 2271153)
A lot of hock injuries come from all sorts of things. Slipping, bad feet, bad back, hard ground...etc. The first thing I would do is keep him on stall rest. He could have pulled a tendon and you dont want him walking around with that. Bute, should also help. Also I would look at his feet as well. Make sure there is nothing in there or a infection. If he does not get better in a few days you should get the vet out.

I think it was from the hard ground, keeping him on stall rest is not an option. Ben has mild arthritis in both of his back legs, and if stalled to long with begin to stock up and gets super stiff and it takes forever to get him warmed up. I dont think pulled a tendon, if he did I think he would be sore at the walk to, not just at the trot. I have been to 4 stores in town, and no Bute. His feet feet are fine to.

poppy1356 04-18-2013 01:49 PM

Bute is by prescription only from your vet. If you already know he has arthritis then you should probably get the vet out to asses if it is getting worse.

Sahara 04-18-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBenLoverforLife (Post 2270601)
I went on a trail ride on Sunday and most of it was walking on the road to get to the trails, and when I went out to ride my horse on Tuesday he looked a bit uncomfortable but I figured he would work out of it. Well he was fine at a walk but no way at a jog. I sprayed some liniment on it, and it seamed to help a bit since his hocks were hot a swollen. Yesterday I went out and he was no longer hot, and no swelling, but he is still sore at the jog. I could not cold hose him, as it was thunder storming and the washing area is outside.

Is there anything else I can do to help him get better faster? He is on turn out from 5 am to 4 pm and it is on 40 acres so he is always moving, and then in the stall the rest of the time. I have the option to leave him outside all the time, but he would not be very happy...

The soreness seams to be a mix of stiffness with very little pain. Should I try just walking him for a long time to get him moving and then trot for a little bit to try to work out the stiffness then walk him for a long time to keep him moving to see if it will help? Or would it just make it worse. If it doesnt get better soon I may call the vet out but since it is not life or death I want to see what my other options are. Thanks!!

"The soreness seems to be a mix of stiffness with very little pain." Doesn't "sore" mean it hurts?? What do you want to hear exactly? You can't keep him in due to arthritic hind legs. You determined by who knows what that it isn't a tendon. It isn't life or death so you do not really want to call a vet. People are giving you good advice. If you don't want to follow it, fine. But then don't go looking for good advice if you have excuses not to follow the good advice you are offered.

If he were mine, I would certainly NOT be exercising him until a vet has looked at him especially since you already know he has arthritic changes.

BigBenLoverforLife 04-18-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara (Post 2272345)
"The soreness seems to be a mix of stiffness with very little pain." Doesn't "sore" mean it hurts?? What do you want to hear exactly? You can't keep him in due to arthritic hind legs. You determined by who knows what that it isn't a tendon. It isn't life or death so you do not really want to call a vet. People are giving you good advice. If you don't want to follow it, fine. But then don't go looking for good advice if you have excuses not to follow the good advice you are offered.

If he were mine, I would certainly NOT be exercising him until a vet has looked at him especially since you already know he has arthritic changes.

I dont mean necessarily mean sore, I mean he looks just really stiff at the trot. What I mean by life or death, I mean if he could barley walk, I would call a vet, colicing, call a vet, cut, call a vet. He can walk just fine and does not seam to be in pain at the walk so I am holding out on a vet to see what kind of advice I could get here first.

I wasnt trying to be rude at Freemare. I was just replying to what she had said, I know my own horse and know he can not stay inside.

BigBenLoverforLife 04-18-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 2272257)
Bute is by prescription only from your vet. If you already know he has arthritis then you should probably get the vet out to asses if it is getting worse.


Really? Somebody told me you could buy it at a farm store and that our local TS carried it. I guess they were talking about something like Bute?

poppy1356 04-18-2013 02:29 PM

Horse asprin but not Bute. Bute is not to be administered freely as it does cause ulcers.

BigBenLoverforLife 04-18-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 2272553)
Horse asprin but not Bute. Bute is not to be administered freely as it does cause ulcers.


That is probably what they were talking about then! Thanks!

waresbear 04-18-2013 02:44 PM

Have the horse accessed by an equine vet for lameness, then go from there. It does sound like arthritis, stiff & sore at the start of a ride but gets better as the horse starts moving around, means whatever synovial fluid is left is lubricating the joints with movement. There is many treatments for sore hocks, an equine vet can access your horse and explain the options to you. Until then, we are just guessing, it could be something very easily treated.
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0