The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Difference Between Crop, Stick, and Bat? (

Equuestriaan 11-16-2008 06:22 PM

Difference Between Crop, Stick, and Bat?
Hey all!

I was wondering what the difference is between a stick, crop, and bat. Is it the size, or are they all the same, just different names? Is one better for jumping? Do you use them differently, maybe bat for the shoulder and crop for behind the leg?

Thanks in advance!

Jubilee Rose 11-16-2008 06:43 PM

Bats are shorter and thicker and without a handle. Some people think they're better for jumping because they don't get in the way as much and are easier to switch on either sides when changing direction. A crop is a regular-sized whip used for equitation or jumping. A whip is used for dressage primarily and is usually a lot longer (called a dressage whip). There are also lunging whips which are really long and have a long floppy end to them. A stick? Well... I guess it could be a tree branch because I've seen people use that before... :?

Hope that was helpful!

upnover 11-17-2008 09:33 AM

ditto what jubilee said... but i think most people use all of those terms interchangably. and usually 'stick' is just a word for any or all of those, although the Spanish Riding school does use actual birch branches!

Moxie 11-18-2008 10:33 AM

I call my crop a pony spanker. :lol:

smrobs 11-21-2008 02:06 AM

Wow, I'm learning as much as everyone else with this thread. As I have never used any of the above, I didn't know the difference either. The only whips I am familiar with are the buggy whip (i have some amish friends) and the bull whip. I think the buggy whip is the same as a dressage whip and everyone knows what a bull whip is I think. I tried to be Indiana Jones one time and did the same thing he did, hit myself in the face with it. {:)

appylover31803 11-21-2008 01:25 PM

I actually believe a buggy (or driving) whip is longer than a dressage whip.

smrobs 11-21-2008 02:37 PM

See there, I am still learning. LOL :)

claireauriga 02-24-2009 07:03 AM

I followed a link to this thread from another one and totally forgot to check the dates before I posted. Sorry for dredging up an old topic!

I use 'whip' as a catch-all term for everything from crops to lunge whips. I say crop to refer specifically to a short whip like this:

I've never heard of them being called a 'bat', but that sounds heavier to me. Stick just sounds like a casual slang term for a whip, probably one without a long tail.

The one with the short tail is a dressage whip, the one with the long tail is a lunge whip.

I ride with a crop or a dressage whip - I like the dressage whip because I tend to find horses are more responsive to it and I can use it without having to put both reins into one hand.

StormyBlues 02-24-2009 01:45 PM

There is another one you guys forgot! The Jockey whip! It is also called a Cross Country Whip! They are bigger and dont' have a thing to put around your wrist so it cant get tangled in anything. It is also fatter so they get more of a response.

appylover31803 02-24-2009 08:31 PM

The reason why some crops/bats have the loop on them so you can put it around your wrist and if you happen to let go of it, you don't loose it.
But I heard its also dangerous to do that 'cause if you fall off it can poke you in the eye.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome