The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Breast Reduction...FREAKING OUT! (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/breast-reduction-freaking-out-177409/)

myhorsesonador 04-18-2013 10:58 AM

Breast Reduction...FREAKING OUT!

Ok, I know I haven't been on here for a while, but I could really use some support. I have had severe back pain since I was 14 (I'm 20 now) I've been in and out of doctors and Chiropractors, and never had any re leaf, I have wanted a breast reduction for years, but my Mom never wanted me to get one. Well I finally found a Doctor that told me and my Mom how it is. I'm over weight, and my Boobs are the cause of the pain. I might have never damage, but there is no way of knowing with out an MRI, and my deductible was not met yet, so we didn't want to pay $600 for an MRI to tell us what we already kinda know.

SO, I go meet the plastic surgeon next Friday, I plan to ask for photos of not only his Breast work, but faces as well. He has good reviews, so I feel pretty good about that. And in the mean time, I am starting Physical Therapy to help the muscles in my back, and to help me loose weight.

Has any one else been though this? What was healing like? How long did you stay at the hospital? I can't think of any other questions at the moment, I'm just so freaked out, but in an excited way.

Oh, just to clarify I have had boobs since I was 10, I've always been picked on for having large boobs. I am 5'7" and I WAS 140lbs, but because I had to stop riding, and couldn't work out due to pain, I am now 240 EWWW I feel so gross. I am currently a 44DD and ultra saggy like cow utters.

tempest 04-18-2013 11:16 AM

Just curious. Why do you want pictures of their faces too?

And I hope your back feels better. I know people who have looked at breast reduction to relieve pain in their backs that were caused by their breasts.

myhorsesonador 04-18-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempest (Post 2271433)
Just curious. Why do you want pictures of their faces too?

And I hope your back feels better. I know people who have looked at breast reduction to relieve pain in their backs that were caused by their breasts.

Really any of his work not just faces, that way I know how clean the work looks after it has healed, and how bad scaring is.

Delfina 04-18-2013 11:27 AM

The problem I see is you want to lose weight. If you drop a lot of weight after the surgery, you're going to have tons of loose skin and your breasts will most likely be even saggier than they are now which would require another surgery if you want to fix that.

myhorsesonador 04-18-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 2271537)
The problem I see is you want to lose weight. If you drop a lot of weight after the surgery, you're going to have tons of loose skin and your breasts will most likely be even saggier than they are now which would require another surgery if you want to fix that.

That's what I would have to talk to the surgeon about. Right now the pain is so bad I can't move most days. On top of it all I have a bad knee, so it also makes it hard to get around the way I should. So I don't have much of a choice as far as reduction now, and have it sag later and need another surgery. OR what I might try to talk to them about is what would be the risks, and financial risks of removing the fat surgically as well.

You are absolutely right though, that is actually one of my main concerns. I haven't actually talked to the surgeon yet, I can't wait till next Friday.

franknbeans 04-18-2013 11:51 AM

I think you already know that your weight is the majority of your issues, including your knee.

Absolutely ask the plastic surgeon about which should come first, but, I would say the weight should. As has been stated, after you lose the weight you may have skin to be tucked and removed, and it will give you the best possibility for the breast results you want.

I have not had a reduction, but have had some elective plastic surgery done, the last was in January. Breast Augmentation was one. I believe that the recovery from the augmentation is more difficult than reduction because of the prosthesis going under the chest wall.(muscle) and I do not remember that being horrible. You are sore for a few days, but you have to get moving.

US news just came out with a new "Top Doctors" list that is one that is not partial and more objective than most lists. You might look there and see if there are any surgeons near you on that. They represent about the top 3% of surgeons. (Mine just made the list :-) )

Make sure you understand where the incisions will be-I have no idea about reduction, but the best for augmentation is around the areola, as opposed to under the breast. Heels better and nerve function returns within about 6 months.

I would also make sure that your insurance will cover this because of size and issues it has caused-otherwise it can be very expensive.

As far as hospital stay-I doubt you will stay over. Most plastic surgeries are done as outpatients. My surgery in January was a 10 hour procedure (UGH!)and I went home (well to my surgeons house, but most go to their own) after.

Many people do it....it is well worth it.:wink:

faye 04-18-2013 12:02 PM

I have a bust that is far far larger than yours (UK 32GG which I believe is a US 32 I or J according to most websites), In the past they have caused back pain to the point that the british NHS offered me reduction surgery (which Is very very rare).

However what I have found is that a properly fitting braworks wonders. For many many years I went to M&S who duly measured me up and put me in a 38E. totaly the wrong size for me. I then found a lovely place called Bravissimo
www.bravissimo.com/
They taught me how to fit a bra properly (NOT with a tape measure), so that 90% of the weight of your bust is carried by the band of the bra and not on your shoulders (which is what gives you back ache).
They also sell bras in my size that dont look like parachute! I only rarly get any pain at all now and its normaly only when I've been riding and not put a sportsbra on!

Before you concider major surgery that will leave you scarred for life, could lead to horrible complications (including the loss of your nipples, the inability to breast feed, misshapen breasts, infections that could lead to the total loss of your breast) and will need redoing if you lose weight, I would highly reccomend looking at the fit of your bra, loseing weight and then if you are still unhappy go for it.

I dont know what similar services are available in the US but in the UK the only bra fitting services I trust are Bravissimo and John Lewis (most of thier bra fitters are trained by bravissimo).

BarrelracingArabian 04-18-2013 12:09 PM

Water exercises could help you lose weight while keeping the stress off of your back and knee :). I think if you go slow and don't do crazy diets or push it too much your skin won't be bad, my dad had gastric bypass and his skin is saggy because he lost weight way to quickly.

Corporal 04-18-2013 12:19 PM

Nobody should pick on you bc of this. However, I've always found it easier to ride and be athletic with a B cup. You will truly enjoy this after you heal. =D
**Prayers for quick healing**

myhorsesonador 04-18-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faye (Post 2271777)
I have a bust that is far far larger than yours (UK 32GG which I believe is a US 32 I or J according to most websites), In the past they have caused back pain to the point that the british NHS offered me reduction surgery (which Is very very rare).

However what I have found is that a properly fitting braworks wonders. For many many years I went to M&S who duly measured me up and put me in a 38E. totaly the wrong size for me. I then found a lovely place called Bravissimo
www.bravissimo.com/
They taught me how to fit a bra properly (NOT with a tape measure), so that 90% of the weight of your bust is carried by the band of the bra and not on your shoulders (which is what gives you back ache).
They also sell bras in my size that dont look like parachute! I only rarly get any pain at all now and its normaly only when I've been riding and not put a sportsbra on!

Before you concider major surgery that will leave you scarred for life, could lead to horrible complications (including the loss of your nipples, the inability to breast feed, misshapen breasts, infections that could lead to the total loss of your breast) and will need redoing if you lose weight, I would highly reccomend looking at the fit of your bra, loseing weight and then if you are still unhappy go for it.

I dont know what similar services are available in the US but in the UK the only bra fitting services I trust are Bravissimo and John Lewis (most of thier bra fitters are trained by bravissimo).

I've been to many fitters, and never been happy. I have a horrible time finding bras, as do every larger woman I know. I've always said that Men design bras here, because they don't work, and they are no where near comfortable.

I've had boobs and back pain long before I had fat, so I know just loosing weight isn't going to help much. And like I said before, the pain in my back makes it really hard to move most days. I have a very high pain tolerance, so trust me, I'm not just being whiny :lol: I haven't been near a horse in over a year now, and I had to quit school due to the pain.

The doc was impressed with my leg strength though, so at least I have some thing! lol

I just want to add, breast feeding is not an issue, because I can not have kids, so if I did want children I would be adopting.