The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Abscess?? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/abscess-177457/)

FlipFlopTipTop 04-18-2013 01:34 PM

Abscess??

One of the mares at our new barn has what appears to be an abscess. It looks to be blowing out on her coronet band and she is slightly off. She was only off for a day before and then it showed up. We are pretty sure it is an abscess as there is really no other way she would have cut herself there. it is pretty wide though, about 2 inches long. Personally I have never had to deal with one here. My gelding has only had one blow out the back on his hoof bulb and I helped a friend whos gelding had one that blew out the bottom of the hoof.
So question, do you normally still wrap? They are turned out on 160 acres but there is still some areas where there is water from melting snow. For the most part though she stands witht he others in the hay piles.
Also should they be soaking it? I took out stuff for them to do it if needed. As well how long does it normally take to grow out when its right at the coronet band? Its right in the front.

I should add too, vet was called out. was supposed to go out last night but wasnt able to make it. He will be out tonight. Also, this isnt my horse but I help out as much as I can around there. Its a very small boarding barn and we look out for eachother.

FlipFlopTipTop 04-20-2013 02:22 PM

Update - Vet was out.. it is an abscess. Thankfully my son just outgrew his size1 diapers not long ago so I was able to take some for the owner to wrap with. They are soaking the foot and wrapping for now. Vet will be out as needed to check on it as there is a new mare that has something up with an eye and hes treating her as well.

Still wondering how long it typically takes to grow out from the cornet band

AlexS 04-20-2013 03:28 PM

It should take about a year.

Kayella 04-20-2013 03:49 PM

Usually 6-12 months depending on how quickly their feet grow. How often is the horse trimmed? I have a pony who can go months between trims and a Paint colt who is trimmed every 3 weeks. It depends on the horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlipFlopTipTop 04-21-2013 12:06 PM

I figured it would take pretty long. Im not too sure how often she is trimmed as I just moved my boys out there not long ago.I assume every 6-8 weeks.

nvr2many 04-21-2013 12:16 PM

My mare had one in November and it has not grown to half yet, getting close I think. I wish I had a pic. If you would like one I can take and post later of where it is now.

FlipFlopTipTop 04-21-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 2299361)
My mare had one in November and it has not grown to half yet, getting close I think. I wish I had a pic. If you would like one I can take and post later of where it is now.

That would be good =)

Personally my gelding had one but it was just above his bulb and it only took a couple months to completely grow out. His feet grow pretty fast though. He gets them trimmed every 4 weeks and Im going to start rasping them down between trims to help too as they have so much growth.

nvr2many 04-21-2013 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK went out and took a couple pics. Man she has big feet, lol. Size 4 shoes! Anyway, not grown out as much as I thought but this is from about mid November.

nvr2many 04-21-2013 02:21 PM

^^^ It was way up in the hair line when it happened.

FlipFlopTipTop 04-21-2013 06:21 PM

Thanks for the photo! I was pretty worried for this mare thinking that it would grow out super ugly as Ive never seen one there personally till now. Your mare's hoof looks a lot better than what I was thinking. I always think the worst though. I remember when my gelding had his I was worried the hoof would just fall off lol. His healed up nice and quick though and we had almost no problems. He was getting his feet done every 6 weeks then (I think) and it grew out within two trims.. third trim she fixed the rest of it and the hoof was back to being balanced.