The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Comfort food - why is it always fattening (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/comfort-food-why-always-fattening-177465/)

jaydee 04-18-2013 12:46 PM

Comfort food - why is it always fattening

So last year I got myself really down with the hot humid weather making riding and gardening so little pleasure and that made me spend a lot more time not getting enough exercise. My DH took some pics of me riding my old horse one day and I was horrified to realize that in fact all of my clothes hadn't actually shrunk in the new washing machine but I'd put weight on.
So what do I do - get even more depressed and hit to cookie jar and the chocolates and the ice cream and the chips..........................
Is this just me?
Has anyone discovered a comfort food that doesn't pile pounds on?
What are your guilty food pleasures?

Clava 04-18-2013 12:54 PM

Cadbury's Fruit and Nut :D (but isn't nearly a salad :lol: )

and then for general comfort - toast and all things bready :-|

I need to lose a stone (ideally , but half a stone would help), and I find the only way is to right it all down (myfitnesspal is good for that) and not eat bread / wheat products.

texasgal 04-18-2013 12:58 PM

It is NOT fattening .. none of it!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

lol

Clava 04-18-2013 01:04 PM

Hmmm. just found some chocolate Digestives :-)

Darrin 04-18-2013 01:18 PM

I've learned to keep rice cakes in the house. When I start craving comfort foods I force myself to eat a couple rice cakes and drink water instead. Really for me it turns out the act of eating is what is comforting, not what I'm eating.

tinyliny 04-18-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin (Post 2272457)
I've learned to keep rice cakes in the house. When I start craving comfort foods I force myself to eat a couple rice cakes and drink water instead. Really for me it turns out the act of eating is what is comforting, not what I'm eating.

I used to do that, but when I am craving something rich and comforting, just because I EAT a rice cracker does not mean the craving is met. I still continue to meander mindlessly, WANTING something. So, eat more rice crackers trying to stifle the urge. Now, I've eaten 5 crackers, to that's aobut 250 calories!
I could have had Snickers bar for a bit more.

I am not saying give into your cravings, but sometimes having some of the "real thing" will be better than trying to trick yourself into beleive some fobbed off rice crackers are the thing you desire.

jaydee 04-18-2013 02:07 PM

Now I have done all the rice cracker/rice cakes/dried fruit/nuts things - have a cupboard full of them right now but also find that I end up eating loads of them and consume just as many calories
clava - Chocolate covered digestives? How could you even mention them. That is just cruel!!!

kitten_Val 04-18-2013 02:32 PM

jaydee, is it a rhetorical question? Or you want a scientific explanation? :wink:

VelvetsAB 04-18-2013 03:08 PM

I find that I am much better off eating what I am craving, because otherwise I end up over indulging.

Some weeks that may be a bag of chips (the small ones for lunch) or a chocolate bar every other day...but then I will go weeks without having any.

Muppetgirl 04-18-2013 03:13 PM

Generally nearly all comfort foods are carbs.......remove the carbs and up the protein, for example - egg whites, plain Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, chicken breast (skin removed) .......I have a nasty sweet tooth and I find if I eat plenty of protein in the form of virtually carb free protein during the day it quenches my sweet carb and bready carb cravings.....

In the mornings I make sure that's when I eat my fruits (carbs but low and natural) , ie. strawberries and an orange and then I cut off the fruit at lunch time........

It's very difficult to beat a carb addiction......I fall off the wagon every few months or so!!!