The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   Lost our Percheron Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/lost-our-percheron-mare-17767/)

smrobs 11-16-2008 11:16 PM

Lost our Percheron Mare

Well, I went home my days off this week. I arrived late Monday night at my dad's and went out to go ride. I couldn't find any of our horses in the pasture. I started wandering around and found them across the road north on our neighbor's property. I caught my mustang and walked them back to our pasture. When I got up the next morning, Dad told me that he found our Percheron mare dead that morning. He said that Saturday, she came up to water and he noticed that the right side of her head was very swollen. At first, he thought it was just the strangles because we had it going through our horses. When by Sunday morning she did not look any better, he called the vet. When the vet showed up and examined her, he said she had been bitten on the cheek by a rattlesnake. In 28 years in the same place, we have never had a horse get snakebit and never in November. Anyway, sometime she sloughed the colt that she was carrying. After the vet gave her some shots, she started to get better. I remember that she was ok Monday night because she was one of the horses that was out. But I guess that is just what happens in the horsey business, huh? Anyway, it just sucks because I was really looking forward to having a colt running around. Now we will have to find another team mate for our stud that matches him and thats going to be hard because he is just ridiculously big. Anyway, I just wanted somewhere to vent.

KatieStanley 11-16-2008 11:36 PM

Im sorry to hear aobut your loss! Hopefully things will start to look up soon for you.

Misty'sGirl 11-17-2008 12:58 AM

That is so sad :( Sorry to hear about that

fedex 11-17-2008 01:20 AM

I am so sorry! That is terrible. I am sending my hugs to Texas. :(

FGRanch 11-17-2008 11:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss! Losing a friend is never easy! ((hugs))

RusticWildFire 11-17-2008 11:30 AM

aww :( I'm sorry to hear that.

I hope you can find a suitable new one soon!

southafrica1001 11-17-2008 12:14 PM

Sorry for your loss, and i hope you feel better soon :(

appylover31803 11-17-2008 02:05 PM

So sorry for your loss ((hugs))

My2Geldings 11-17-2008 05:10 PM

Really sorry to hear about your loss. What a horrible way to lose a horse. Tho a horse can never replace another, I hope you can find a horse that will bring you as much joy as your mare did.

Jubilee Rose 11-17-2008 05:59 PM

*Hugs* So sorry you have to go through this. *Prayers*