The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle "add-ons" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-add-ons-17769/)

Moxie 11-16-2008 11:29 PM

Saddle "add-ons"

Just curious to see if anyone here has any cute saddle add-ons? I know there are a few gals at the barn who has a leather cross in their 'color' strapped to their saddle.

I have a GREAT idea for my saddle, but I'm not exactly sure about how to get it done. Anyone know if you can add Silver to your saddle?

Dumas'_Grrrl 11-17-2008 10:14 AM

What are you trying to add?

I know that silver corners and such are easily added to most saddles by a saddle shop. A lot of times it's just a couple of holes and a rivet or chicago screw to hold the silver piece on.

Silver plates can be added to the cantle. I found a small silver cross that I hung on the breast collar D with a small piece of strong nylon string.

I suppose your imagination is the only thing that will limit you. You do want to be careful of the "bling" getting in the way of safety. I prefer to keep the embellishments limited to the small cross, shoo fly on the girth, and free edges of the saddle blanket/pad.

Dumas'_Grrrl 11-17-2008 10:17 AM

Sorry for the double post. IMO, If you want to add color and bling do it with the saddle pad, breast collar, and bridle. There are LOTS of pretties out there. You could even ride with rythm beads around the horse's neck if it will let you. There's ear bonnets, and browbands made of ribbon and sparklies, Pretty reins with embelishments on them etc, etc.

I just prefer to not monkey with the saddle itself.

Moxie 11-17-2008 02:29 PM

Well, I want a plate that says something that is special to me. But it is kind of long, I'd like to get it on a plate and center it on the back skirt of my saddle.

Gingerrrrr 11-17-2008 03:08 PM

my friend has a leather cross on her saddle too! and this isnt really a "saddle" add on but she tied devil horns to the top of her bridle. its so cute.

Dumas'_Grrrl 11-17-2008 03:10 PM

If it's personal, I would have it engraved on a cantle plate. If it doesn't matter if anyone else could read it then I wouldn't worry about he smaller lettering.

I'm not a fan of the silver across the back of the skirt. That's supposed to stay somwhat flexable. Especially since you have longer saddle.

Just my $0.02

Moxie 11-17-2008 03:57 PM

Thats a good point, Amy. My cantle has like leather engraved flowers and detailing already, so I dunno where I'd put it.