The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What's the best way to get my horse used to a new bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/whats-best-way-get-my-horse-177889/)

Baylee 04-19-2013 07:12 AM

What's the best way to get my horse used to a new bit?

Recently I've ordered some new tack for my horse ( I loooovveee shopping for riding gear :wink:) and had to get her a new bit seeing the one I am riding her in is to small. When the bit comes, what would be the best way to introduce it to her? Just put it in her mouth and go for a ride, or let her get used to it a little before starting up on our work with speed patterns?

It is exactly the same bit as the one she uses now only it's a 1/2 inch bigger- I just wasn't sure the best way to introduce it to her, if there is one. :P

Iseul 04-19-2013 07:41 AM

I'd just toss it in her mouth and see how she does with a little warm up (circles, lateral, etc) and go from there. If she rides no different I dont see any harm in working with patterns.

I know I've switched horses from a snaffle to a reiner or jr cow and put them on a pattern within a day. She should be just fine with the change, especially since it's not a different type of bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baylee 04-19-2013 08:45 AM

Great! Thanks for the help! :)

beverleyy 04-19-2013 05:43 PM

I recently switched out both my mare's bits. I just put it on and rode per usual. I'd say as long as your horse obviously isn't liking a bit, go ahead with your ride per usual. That being said, my one mare does "act up" when I stick a new bit on her, but that's just her testing me really, so generally I push her through and by the second ride she's fine. Though for you, the only thing that's changing is the size of the bit so you really shouldn't have any issues. Warm up like you normally would and go from there.

iRide Ponies 04-21-2013 04:56 PM

Put it on and ride. If you don't ride in it, your horse will never get used to it.