The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Getting Ready for Show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/getting-ready-show-178089/)

HorseCourage 04-19-2013 02:34 PM

Getting Ready for Show

It's show time again! But this time I'm going through it without a trainer (who did everything for me and im 16) and I have no clue what to do. My new horse and I have our first show in a week and a half, but I'm lost at how to get her looking show ready. She has long hairs under her chin, long hairs along her face, her neck and back look good, but her belly and her legs don't. What should I do?

waresbear 04-21-2013 12:53 AM

Remove the long hairs, either with clippers or scissors. On the legs, you do need to clip those smoothly. If you feel you can't do this without making a mess, just leave it and show like that. I would rather see a natural horse, than a hacked up horse.

HorseCourage 04-22-2013 01:01 PM

Thanks that's really helpful !!! Should I clip in the direction of the hair on her belly or against it ?

waresbear 04-22-2013 04:10 PM

Clip with the grain.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseCourage 04-23-2013 01:58 PM

thanks ! what about for under her chin? she has like a beard pretty much

waresbear 04-23-2013 02:32 PM

I just did my horse about 2 weeks ago so the clip doesn't look so fresh come show time, May 12th. You can trim off the long hairs so they don't hang down past the jaw line or you can do like I did, clip it all down even. Because it's in an awkward spot you have to pull on the skin to make it taut to shave it, again with the grain. The only time I shave again the hair growth is if I want to do a surgical type clip because it really skins it. On a bridle path, I clean it up going against the grain or inside the ears. If your show is less than 2 weeks away, I would just carefully remove only the longest hairs and take a griddle block to shed out the rest as best you can.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseCourage 04-23-2013 02:33 PM

yeah my show is in a week :/ not good planning on my part. But im really new to having to get my horse ready on my own. But thanks for all your help

waresbear 04-23-2013 02:40 PM

Then if I were you, I wouldn't be getting radical with the clippers. Just slightly shave the fetlocks, his bridle path and scissor off the long hanging down hairs to the actual coat. Grab a griddle block first and see what you remove with that, they remove long hairs pretty good and save you from having to scissors off excessive amounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Standardbred 04-24-2013 02:03 AM

Some tips from me:
If using scissors, use round ended ones so if you horse moves you don't cut her skin.
I would personally use scissors for her legs and face, I find you can get it a lot more natural looking.
Mix one part baby oil to three parts water in a spray bottle and spray her with it 3 days before the show. If plaiting her mane and tail, don't spray them. If not plaiting, spray generously as it will make her mane and tail really shiny. If plaiting her tail, on the day of the show plait her tail then spray lots of baby oil/water mixture through her tail and comb well. The result is a shiny, tangle free tail. Warning, if you spray on too much the tail goes all oily and weird so do be careful.
A damp sponge wiped over her coat on the day of the show will remove the top layer of dust and grease from your horse's coat and help shine.
Hope these are useful!

HorseCourage 04-24-2013 09:43 AM

It was extremley helpful!!! Omg thank you both so much !!!!!!