The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Preparing a Colt and Colt Starting . What do you do ,how ,and why ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/preparing-colt-colt-starting-what-do-178265/)

GoWithTheFlow 04-19-2013 08:30 PM

Preparing a Colt and Colt Starting . What do you do ,how ,and why ?

What do you do to prepare your colt/ young horse to be started ?(Please explain why , if you'd like .)

When do you know it's time for the first ride ?

What are your goals for the first few rides ?

And anything about the subjects that you'd like to add ! I thought this would be a helpful thread .:-)

Cherie 04-19-2013 09:01 PM

These questions are not going to be answered and explained in enough detail on an internet forum to do any more than just get you in trouble. Large books have been written on the subject and no two are alike.

If you want a horse to be started correctly and not get spoiled, you need to know what you are doing and not try to do it with a book in one had and the reins in the other. Find a trainer or knowledgeable horse person willing to help you start your own horse.. You need a coach for this to have it come out right. When I take in an apprentice, it take 6 months to a year to teach them how to start colts -- and that is with me watching them every single day. It takes years longer to teach them how to 'finish' a horse.

This is kind of like buying an airplane and trying to teach yourself how to fly it. Probably not a great idea.

Phly 04-19-2013 09:52 PM

I tend to agree with CHERIE. this isn't the place to learn breaking colts. The occasional issue, yes.
There's just nothing that compare to experience and hands on training. I got my my gelding young and of minimal training and am happy where we are at. But to tell you how we got there would make me feel bad when you show us the pictures of your cast, or worse.
I guess what I'm sayin is, if you don't know how, don't. That $1000 will be well spent on on a good trainer. Not hospital bills.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ian McDonald 04-20-2013 02:56 AM

1. Get the horse comfortable with the entire process. That means comfortable with me approaching, with me climbing onto his back, not only that but having his feet directed by me (a predator), with the saddle and bridle, everything.

2. Teach him to go forward, backward, turn left and right and to both engage and disengage his hindquarters upon request, so that he doesn't just buck me off, flip over, and/or run away.

3. Do all of that in such a way that builds his confidence instead of destroying it.

It's so simple!

Actually, it's a miracle that they'll let us do it at all. lol.

Nokotaheaven 04-20-2013 03:45 AM

Just something to add. You should do your best to know what your horse is thinking and feeling a all times. It helps to know what happens before what happens happens, and will really help to keep you out of trouble... And out of the hospital lol
Good luck :P

Palomine 04-20-2013 05:41 AM

You find a trainer and take it to them.

Ian McDonald 04-20-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 2289289)
It helps to know what happens before what happens happens

Also what happened before what you didn't want to have happen happened, amirite?. :mrgreen:

Nokotaheaven 04-21-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian McDonald (Post 2290161)
Also what happened before what you didn't want to have happen happened, amirite?. :mrgreen:

Hahaha yes xP

Also OP, when starting a colt it's best to do it with someone else around in case something happens. It's also better if that person has knowledge in starting colts, to help you when you get stuck on something

Merlot 04-21-2013 01:34 AM

I believe that one of the main problems is that the horse is smarter than the person trying to train him.
First make sure you have the brains to develop the understanding needed to train a horse. If you're not that smart (and most people IMHO are not) - get a professional to start him..... ;-)

GoWithTheFlow 04-21-2013 02:47 PM

Thank you to everyone who posted ! I was wanting to hear different methods . I know you never stop learning .

I started this thread to make sure my gelding knew everything he needed to know, so I wouldn't ruin him . I was pressed for time when I started it . But thank y'all !

Oh , I forgot to add . I do have a trainer that I can go to for help .